Relocating the battery

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Relocating the battery

Post by HomerRamone »

Has anyone ever tried relocating the battery at all. Other than moving it to the centre for the extra backbox I mean.

My Z3 has been converted to LPG but the tank in the boot aint that big. Good for around 140 miles (on the + side it only takes £15 to fill it :) ).
Be nice to put a larger tank in there and I dont really care about boot space - but obviously the battery is in there. Just wonder if anyone has ever put the batter elsewhere ?

Thanks
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Relocating the battery

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Very early 4 cylinder cars had the battery under the bonnet, but I don't think you'd have any space for it. If you don't want it in the boot and it won't fit under the bonnet, that pretty much leaves the space that a passenger would inhabit!
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Can't you fit a tank where the spare wheel goes? Been done on tin tops
Peter2b
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by HomerRamone »

Yeah - It was suggested that I could put a donut tank where the spare is and even probably leave the one in the boot.
But I havent gotten to look at the spare to see how big a tank would fit or how much space is there where the spare is. Or even if the battery acctually sits in the centre of the spare iyswim.
I was thinkng maybe a long skiny battery might be able to live in the boot next to the tank... or maybe in the cab behind the seat...

Deffo need something because calling to the garage every 3rd day will get tiresome !
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What have you done with the existing fuel tank? It's in a bit of an inaccessible location, but it's a fair volume. Could you not use that space somehow?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

You say that your LPG tank gives you 140 miles. I guess you average about 24 mpg, so your tank can only be about 25 litres, which is very small. I looked at converting my Z to LPG and was told that a 60 litre tank would sit in the space occupied by the spare wheel.
I assume that you retained your petrol tank and have a switchover device if you need to use petrol, so your tank area would not be available.
I think you should consider a tank in your wheel space and put a donut in your boot, or a can of instant puncture repair. Relocating your battery is not a soft option, and you should avoid it if possible.
By the way, how does you LPG system perform? I heard some negatives around the systems so decided against it at the time, but I am re-thinking that.
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by HomerRamone »

Its a 40l tank - but you don't get to fill them, so i'm getting around 30l in there. I think you also get slightly less MPG than you do on petrol.
I might try taking the spare wheel out at the weekend and popping to see the guy I know thats knowledgeable in these matters to see what size tank I can get in there. (He has an 850 with LPG on it and has done many conversion :) )

As for performance I think if there was no light in the cabin to say which you are using you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Only time I have ever noticed its there is if you happen to be gunning it when it switches from LPG to gas when the LPG runs out. I would have no hesitation in recommending it !!

Thanks for the feedback folks !! Will be back with an update !