New Tyres Advice Please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

New Tyres Advice Please

Post by lebigmec »

It's getting to the time of year when my Z3 will be stored away for the Winter again, as every year when the tax runs out on 31/10. The Car Capsule will be inflated in my garage & all the prep work for storage will take place..
Although my tyres aren't worn to their limits, they are now 5 years old & they are cheap nasty things (Acellera Alpha) which were brand new on the car when I bought it, so it seemed a bit silly to replace them straight away. To be fair, they have performed reasonably, but they are cheap rubbish tyres.
So, when my car comes out of its Winter sleep next Spring, I will be fitting a new set of tyres. I am hoping for some advice from you all regarding your recommendations as to which ones are good on a Z3. I have read that some brands aren't so good when it comes to Tramlining, so would appreciate some advice on the better ones to use.
My car has style 55 alloys with 225/50 R16 tyres. I'm thinking about either Falken 914 or Continental Sport Contact so far..
Out of interest, does anyone know which tyres it may have had fitted from new?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Last edited by lebigmec on Sun 18 Oct, 2015 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New Tyres Advice Please

Post by Tufarlian »

I'm a big fan of Avon tyres.

They transformed my Z. Tramlining gone completely and a much better ride than the Continentals that they replaced.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi there, when I bought my car It had Avon ZV5's on the rear and 3/4 worn Michelins on the front, and it tramlined quite a bit !
I replaced the Michelins with Avon ZV5's to match the rears, and then it was like driving another car, NO tramlining !

The Zv5's grip well, and let go progressively if you want to wag the tail. They also have a bead around the sidewall just above the wheel rim to help protect against kerb damage. They do for me.
Hope this helps.

Cheers, :cheers

Bonzo.

ps just seen the previous post! :D
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Avon ZV5's on mine as well....havmt put a foot wrong yet
the badness makes me do it...!

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Good to hear of newer types of tyre being tested, the old favourites from a few years ago are no longer available.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Michelin PS2/3's

I had Avon ZZ3 years ago but they were noisy.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Avon ZV5 on pepperpots:)
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

I bought a set of four Avons for a high performance Passat, worst tyres I have ever had. One of the tyres was so badly made that the car pulled to which ever side it was fitted, I put it on the back and the handling was still weird. Even after I changed it the car never felt right til I replaced the whole lot. Never again.

Edited to add: Hmmm! don't trust me on this, memory is not what it was.
Last edited by boustrophedon on Mon 21 Dec, 2015 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Did you take the faulty tyre back to the seller?
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

Bonzo wrote:Did you take the faulty tyre back to the seller?
Yes but the car still felt weird as the others were not that good either.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Perhaps they were from a faulty batch, or just did not suit that make/model of car.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hey Lebigmec, you're not a million miles away from me, fancy meeting up for a jar somewhere before your Z3 goes into hibernation?

Bonzo.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Bonzo wrote:Hey Lebigmec, you're not a million miles away from me, fancy meeting up for a jar somewhere before your Z3 goes into hibernation?

Bonzo.
That may be possible.. Where in Norfolk are you based?
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

lebigmec wrote:
Bonzo wrote:Hey Lebigmec, you're not a million miles away from me, fancy meeting up for a jar somewhere before your Z3 goes into hibernation?

Bonzo.
That may be possible.. Where in Norfolk are you based?
Aylsham.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Uniroyal rainsport 3. Brilliant tyre.
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

Uniroyals for me too - fitted them to my Mx5 years ago to stop the tail end coming round in the wet on Dunlops - never had any bother since so fitted them when I bought my Z - again no problems, including driving (steadily) in snow/icy ungritted roads last winter.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Thanks for that, it's given me a couple to consider anyway. Does anyone know which tyres were fitted from new by BMW?
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

lebigmec wrote:Does anyone know which tyres were fitted from new by BMW?
Often Continentals.....
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

More frequently Michelins. MXM's on my 1.9. Now replaced with Primacy HP's.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc