"Gear" noise when turning the wheels.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

"Gear" noise when turning the wheels.

Post by thompy93 »

Lately ive gotten a sound coming from the steering wheel when i turn it, it sounds like gears grinding towards each other. Seems like its only when i have the steering wheel in over a certain position that it makes the noise. Anyone got an idea of what it could be? Its also possible to feel clicks vibrate on the steering wheel when the sound comes.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: "Gear" noise when turning the wheels.

Post by Brian4 »

Could be a broken front spring catching on the top mount of the strut.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Personally, I would first check the power steering oil to make sure it is properly topped-up. Secondly, following on from Brian's theme above, the front "top mount bearings" can seize so that when turning the steering wheel, the coil spring is twisted following which it jerks back into shape when it is twisted so far - ultimately the coil spring could break as Brian says.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

As Del suggests, the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir may be low which will cause the steering pump to be under supplied with fluid. This generally causes a feeling of juddering and will also generate some noises. The broken spring issue is something I have never come across, but that is more likely to be weather related since here in SA it's not a destructive problem on cars unless one lives close to the coasts. I can however imagine it's a common issue there with weather and salt applied on the roads. Since you will need to raise the car to examine the springs, it may be worth checking the front wheel bearings at the same time. This can be done by attempting to wiggle the wheel with the tyre on, from the 12 and six o lock positions. If there is any movement it will indicate a possible failed wheel bearing but may also indicate failure of other steering arm joints, so check them too.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Thanks guys. Now ill atleast know where to look first atleast. Lets just hope its the fluid.

When you say springs, you mean suspension springs, or am i totaly wrong there? :roll:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep...the suspension springs.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions