Door speakers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Door speakers

Post by thompy93 »

Tried to search on the forum, but couldnt seem to find out what size the door speakers are. They are missing atm, so im looking to replace them. 1" seems about the right size, or?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Door speakers

Post by Southernboy »

There are actually 2 tweeters each side. One is a little smaller than the other. I believe one is a 1 1/2" and the other around 1"
If you remove the door card and then the speaker cover, you will see the screw holes which hold the speakers in position. There are 2 screws per speaker on the diagonal.
I might suggest you contact Andy aka "Spurs fan in a coupe". He is very likely to be able to assist with OEM speakers. He currently has a few posts for stuff for sale on the index page. If he doesn't have any, he may have a door card already off, and you can ask him to measure the distance between the speaker mounting holes. That'll give you the info you need to use when you go looking for a set... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I think it actually depends what speaker system your car was fitted with - IIRC there were three options - standard, HiFi and Harmon Kardon. I have seen pictures showing that only one of the tweeter slots was occupied, with the other being empty. I only have the standard setup on mine, and the tweeters work, so I am not sure why yours has none - it would seem an odd thing to remove as you have to take the door cards off to get to them.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Hmm. The OEM speakers I removed from the footwell side was cheapy-cheap stuff, so my guess is standard. Since Ive already installed the Rockford fosgate punch 152 series in the footwell I think the rockford punch 1" will fit well to the complete sound. Ill see if Andy is of any help with measuring :)

The tweeters may have been removed when the first owner had a lady on the side. His misses found out and took a bucket of black paint over the door and the inside, atleast thats the story I got from the second owner :lol:
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

A few pictures to hopefully help you.

I'm not great with ICE o electrics in general.

The width between the allen bolts is about 6cm on both the standard tweeters and the HK set up mids holes.

The size of the round bit on the OEM tweeters is about 3cm.

Standard Z3 door card with OEM (BMW) tweeters fitted.

Tweet in place with space for mids in an upgraded set up

OEM tweeter

Mids space

HK tweeters (that I have in 'stock')

HTH?
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Thanks alot andy :D do you recall the max depth you can fit in there too?