Bounce or crash?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Bounce or crash?

Post by srichards »

The springs on mine are a bit shot. One is new but I have no idea what make/model it is, one is newish and the other two are probably ancient. I'm assuming shocks are original and at 80k they must be fairly knackered by now.

I don't really want to lower the car as it is fairly ground skimming as it is.

Assuming standard bilstein springs what are the best shocks to have? I was thinking of keeping the standard bilstein shocks and springs but going down the polybush route for everything else. It's had wishbone polybushes already. What bush replacements make the most difference in terms of making the car a bit more controlled? I definitely don't want crash or worse wiggling over bumps.

Other alternatives are standard bilstein springs but with koni adjustable shocks all round (about £150 each). Obviously the standard set up is a lot, lot cheaper. I am at a crossroads as it does need updating but I don't really want to start on the lowering springs or coil over route as I know these generally lead to a firm and often crashy ride.

I obviously want the impossible of no bounce and no crash...a little bounce and a little crash is ok. Bounce and no crash is acceptable. Space hopper or crashy rock hard ride are also unwanted. Comfort is important and part of that is having a car that doesn't decide to be distracted like a dog seeing a squirrel every time there is a ripple in the road.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Bounce or crash?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd just go for raplacing with standard equipment. As you say, yours will be well past it's sell-by date and I'm sure you'll see a huge improvement without the potential pitfalls that non-standard equipment may lead you to.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

srichards wrote: don't really want to lower the car as it is fairly ground skimming as it is.
Sounds as if it may have had the height lowered already? If so you may need new springs all around to meet with your standard height requirements.

The OE shocks on the non-M cars were Boge/Sachs (all part of the same parent company). The aftermarket OE equivalent is now Sachs Super Touring which are a good shock absorber and compared on many forums (inconclusively) against Bilstein B4s which are also a fine shock.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

I think replacing with standard all round might be the best idea then.