mirror switch mounting

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

mirror switch mounting

Post by peter2b »

just found out why my drivers door card is floppy the screw that holds it tight behind the mirror switch has broken it's mounting on the switch bracket, I've had a look in the parts catalogue but can't find the item, it's the plastic moulding that the mirror switch plugs into any ideas please
peter2b
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: mirror switch mounting

Post by deni2s »

Switch mounts straight inside door handle, there is no separate "plastic moulding". I think you need to replace door handle with new one. And most probably you will need new plastic clips which are holding door cards to the door - the door handle is screwed to the door (probably torx 27) through door cards on one side and on the other side it is screwed with two philips just to door cards. And if door cards are not pressed to the door with clips, it's easy to break the handle at the side where it is screwed to the door.

Don't look for used door handle - it has plastic tab which is melted to fit to the door card, so one fitting point will be already broken.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

had the door card off yet again found the bits that had broken off trying my hot glue gut to stick it all together again , I have some spare clips as it seem there is always 1 that grips into the door hole and breaks when I try to get it out
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

git it all sorted now lots of glue and fitted a longer screw handle nice and tight now, also adjusted the window height so that fits spot on going for a run out tommorow
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm repairing my handle currently but it's at the other end. I'm using araldite to replace the plug of board/vinyl that pulled off. Then I'm going to see if I can get some fibre-glass mesh behind it to reinforce it. If that works I'll pre-emptively fibre-glass mesh the passenger side too.

Most of where the plug pulled off is concealed under the handle. But there is a small visible bit just under the handle. After gluing there's a gap in the vinyl (the whole piece was smaller than the hole for some reason). So I've got to figure out what to use to fill that 1mm gap. I've been itching to try this stuff out on something - https://sugru.com/about. If that doesn't work I'll try this http://www.colorfill.co.uk/.

I suspect forum members will find lots of interesting uses for Sugru in due course.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

My door handle was broken on the mount underneath the mirror switches on the drivers side. My plastic had broken away, managed to find a new handle from here, plastic mounting in good condition ready for the new bolt which fixes it to the actual door. You can buy these handles new at dealerships for around £80 if I am correct, what is the difference?

I think this will mount nicely, hope so anyway, door card just had all tabs secured and glued in place a few were hanging off when I went to remove door card ( not my work )

So just glued all them back in place, will do similar to door handle.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

just finished my door card:

So, I drilled out the old tab that is glued ( which had snapped ) my new ( used handle ) had the lug completely perfect therefore I positioned handle against door card, fixed bottom end first, could see that the material of door card was starting to pull away at one end, so using the extra metal fixing tab that came with the new handle, I bent it in a slight U shape, then put this the opposite way to the original one. This bit into fresh meat perfectly, then followed the screws up with a good coating of hot glue, even covering the screw heads, as I won't be doing this again, its solid.

Back to the top end, as said, old lug drilled out, the new one pushed into position. Glue gun all around it, and glue gun the whole handle area to door card, now ready for fixing back to the car, once dent man comes tomorrow ( he wants to go in behind the door ) as there are quite a few dents.