Scary noise!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Scary noise!

Post by ralft01 »

I was driving along peacefully minding my own business, poodling at around 60mph. The road was clear, I was in the middle lane. Up comes this horrible little black thing and sits 3 inches behind me. I moved over to the left lane. The whole road was clear, it was 02.15 or thereabouts. The black thing moved over behind me. Sod it, I thought, no more MNG! I pushed the pedal right down and took off like a rat ablaze, leaving the black thing disappearing in the rear view mirror. At peace with the motoring gods once more, I started my descent to normality when there was a noise as if I had run over a piece of wood, followed by a sound like someone in the wheels with a rasp. This sound continued unabated, speeding up with increasing car speed. My immediate thought was Wheel Bearing, then Spring? Then panic. I drove home very sedately and tried to see what it might be. No obvious signs of body dropping onto wheels, so maybe not Spring. My favourite BMW shop is booked solid into the New Year, so hoping for insights.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Scary noise!

Post by colb »

If its coming from the rear wheel(s) maybe its handbrake related, broken shoe retaining spring inside the drum or maybe the linkage is loose causing it to rattle.
If its the front has something got flung up and trapped between the disc and the backplate?

Strip down and check required.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

colb wrote:has something got flung up and trapped between the disc and the backplate?
That would be my initial thought, also. If you drive backwards a short distance, or rotate the wheel backwards, it may help to dislodge it. Handbrake also makes an interesting noise if it comes apart - mine pulled through the backplate and my indy fixed it with a simple washer - though I had not long since had new shoes.

Other than that, could it be a stuck caliper? Did the wheel feel hot when you stopped?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I once drove over a carrier bag without noticing,
It wrapped around the prop-shaft,
The noise sounded like the car was going to be a write off with all the major mechanicals failing at once.
was an easy fix though.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..