sound conundrum

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

sound conundrum

Post by wizard4 »

OK guys here is a cracker, the sound keeps disappearing from my stereo the cd is still playing but no sound, I changed the radio unit but still had the same problem, initially there is sound then it disappears. Switch the radio off and leave it for a couple of days and bingo I have sound perhaps for a few minutes, then its gone, is there a relay that could be overheating?

Cheers

Ray :head:
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: sound conundrum

Post by c_w »

Sounds like an amplifier issue - I think some of them are in the passenger footwell near the actually front speaker?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Could be a dodgy speaker(s) connection or more likely a dry joint inside the radio which goes open circuit when it gets warm.
Suggest you check the wiring connections at the back of the unit, dry joints will require opening up the set to get at the circuit board.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

He changed the radio and the fault was still there, so l doubt it's the unit itself.
And the CD keeps playing in the display, so it's not a power supply issue.

If all the speakers are going off, it's not going to be a faulty speaker connection. Check to see if there's an amplifier fitted, as mentioned above, as the fault is going to be between the stereo and the speakers, so is most likely there.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Does the sound disappear on other sources eg radio or mp3 etc? If it is just CD then the disc itself might be the problem. I gave up on CDs in cars as the condensation meant quite often they wouldn't play properly when the weather got cooler.
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

No the sound has disapeared on both radios it does''t matter if I am listening to the radio or cd's I can hear the speakers click when the radio is switched on but no sound coming through, if I disconnect the plug that has the speaker wires and start to reconnect it I get the sound back but as soon as I fully connect the sound has gone.

Cheers
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

might be a bad/poor earth some where might be worth checking
peter2b
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Just an update to confuse matters, I have got the sound back did some direct wiring joint straight from the stereo to the speakers, however as soon as I shut the passenger door, no sound, open it sound is back again :head:
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Well with the door doing that it must be an earthing issue to the set, trace the earth lead and check for bad connection or even try a new earth connection using a made up jump lead. Also check out each individual speaker wire at the speakers for bad connections or shorts, shorts here may well shut down the amp in the set according to my research
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

There is obviously a short in the wiring to the door speakers... Simple matter to trace the speaker wires back all the way through to the inside and find the fault. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

It seems to be the left front speaker in the passenger foot well, traced the wiring as far as I could back towards the radio, but the wiring colour is different, it looks like I may have to take out the front console as I can't see where the change has been made, just something to add to this I found that someone at some point has taken off the hud cover, over the speedo etc, cause it's not fixed down I also found a wire with a jack lead hanging loose, the car alarm doesn't work but the little red button flashes when I press it, is there a connection with all this to the current problem. I will check out the earth as suggested.

Cheers

Ray
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Have you tried disconnecting the suspect speaker? If so did the sound get restored to the other speakers?

As to the jack plug you found where is the wire going to, it may have been used to connect an auxiliary sound device such as an MPEG player or a hands free phone, if the wire goes back to the head unit then almost certain to be the case. Remove it if this is the case unless you want to take it into use yourself.

You should have two screws under the instrument binnacle to secure it to the dash.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Screws are missing Colb, also wire with jack lead disappears into the nether regions of the car

Cheers

Ray