Bacon Saved by DSC?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Bacon Saved by DSC?

Post by motco »

I was travelling clockwise on M25 near Reigate on New Year's Day at mid to late afternoon in my Z3 2.2 Sport. It was getting dark and the traffic was moderate (light by M25 standards) with very few lorries but lots of cars. I was on cruise at a GPS 70 mph in lane 3 of 4. On my right and to the rear was a large white car (Audi I think) gaining on me by about five to ten mph, and on my left in lane two another car (unknown make) travelling some five to ten mph slower than I was. So far, so normal on M25 with all its gantry cameras causing little speed differential across the outmost three lanes. There was nothing ahead of the lane two car for some distance and indeed not a lot immediately ahead of me because the braking distance at that speed dictates a good headway to the car ahead. As I drew alongside the car to my left he suddenly and unneccessarily started to change lane towards my nearside. This was no lane drift; this was a deliberate lane-change manoeuvre and had I not taken evasive action he would have barged me across to lane four where the Audi was now approaching alongside. Instinctively I swung the wheel quickly through about 90 degrees right and then instantly back sufficiently to regain the course in the lane in order to move the car at least half a vehicle's width towards, but not into the path of, the car in lane four. He (the Audi) must have lost control of his bowels when he saw what was apparently a small two-seater diving across his path and then, equally suddenly stopping the swerve! Doing this in some (most) cars on a damp concrete road surface at 70mph would almost certainly have resulted in a total loss of directional control, but in the Z, thanks to DSC, it did exactly what was asked of it with no more than a couple of flashes of the yellow DSC light on the dash! I am so glad I took the Z yesterday and not my Jag X Type - that has traction control and ABS but no stability control. What's more it's a bit of a heavy lump and would have been unlikely to be as nimble as the Z anyway.

Over the years I have driven in excess of a million miles and can honestly say that I have never had such a stupid driver threaten my safety.
Robz3sport

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Bacon Saved by DSC?

Post by Robz3sport »

Wow........scary stuff.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

amazing, I'm still finding out how my Z3 behaves that's another one, bet they both needed trouser changes
peter2b
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

peter2b wrote:amazing, I'm still finding out how my Z3 behaves that's another one, bet they both needed trouser changes
peter2b
Well I did! :?
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

It's amazing how we react with our hands and not our feet - me included.

My bad reactions to danger have also caused me problems in the past.

Luckily, like you, electronics saved the situation.

:D
Pingu