Seat removal question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Simon59

Z3 roadster 1.9

Seat removal question

Post by Simon59 »

Hi All

Inspired by Antm72's seat re-dye success, I ordered the same stuff (SCUFFmaster dye from Liquid Leather + conditioner and cleaner) and am ready to give my tired seats a makeover. To do a proper job I need to take the seats out, but my Haynes manual (sorry!) says that the battery must be disconnected before the seat can be removed, because it powers pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners which could inflict 'serious injury' if accidentally deployed.

I have no problem in disconnecting my battery but how can I move the seat backwards and forwards to remove the front and rear nuts without power? I'm hoping one of you with wiser heads than mine can advise me so that when (if) it stops raining I can take the seats out (one at a time) and give them the full treatment. My Z3 is a January 1999 1.9L pre-facelift model.

Thanks in advance, Simon
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Seat removal question

Post by Daz3 »

Remove the front two nuts move seat forward then disconnect the battery. This will give access to the rear bolts and wiring before you disconnect it.
William P

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by William P »

When are ready to refit the seats then, if by any chance you you have an airbag fault light illuminate then I have the reset tool if you need it, and you are quite welcome to borrow it. :wink:
I am just down the A580 at Lowton.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Don't start the car or put the ignition on while the seat is out, then you won't need to reset the airbag light.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Also, a bit of tip - when the seats are out make sure to cable tie the wiring up neatly and away from the runners. The seats have a habit of chewing through the wires when the seat is frequently moved - resulting in the airbag light.... tidying up the loom while its out will help reduce this in future.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Simon59

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Simon59 »

Doh! Thanks Daz3, I didn't think of that!

Thanks also to Fender 2004 and bertiejaffa for the top tips.

Very kind offer too William P, but hopefully I won't need it if I follow Fender 2004's advice.

Thanks again guys, will post again when I've done the job.

All the best, Simon
twcaz@msn.com

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by twcaz@msn.com »

Hello folks,

My first post on this forum. Got a 1999 2.8L Z3 and love it. Just turned 30,000 miles.

The driver's seat was slipping due to the poor, disintegrated, bushings that I learned about on this wonderful site. Ordered the kit, watched the video, did the procedure, and it is now working perfectly...and no Air Bag light! The passenger seat was fine. HOWEVER,

Sometime between between doing the driver's seat and now, the passenger seat has stopped going fore and aft. Up and down is fine. I checked the fuse box and unless there is a separate fuse for Up-Down vs. Fore-Aft that I have overlooked, all is fine there. Is there one motor for both functions or two separate motors? I tried to check wiring connections -- although I doubt they have been touched by accident -- but cannot get to the rear ones.

No problem, I erroneously though. I will just remove the seat, find the problem, and replace the bushings while I am doing this, even though the seat does not slip. But here's the problem: Where the seat is stuck now I cannot get to either the front nuts or rear bolts on the tracks! Horrors! Any suggestions?! Help!

FJRTom
Cave Creek, AZ, USA
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

While the seat is still connected to the power, try operating the forward switch, and try and pull the seat forward while sitting on the seat. Then go backwards in the same manner. Keep going forwards and back and the seat may move under the power of the motor.
The motor just sticks as it doesn’t get used much unless there are several drivers of the car.
The forward and back motion breaks the sticky bit and allows the seat to move under its own power hopefully.
Juvvajuvva

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Juvvajuvva »

Two motors. The one at the front is f&b the rear is up& down.
If the seat won’t move forward you can’t undo the bolts to get the seat out.
Pull the square ended flexi Bar our of those motor, attach it to a battery drill and slowly wind it , in smal increments, one side then the other or the seat base will become twisted, anti clock for the inner, clock for the outer.
It’s the only way sadly.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

I’ve managed to fit a working forward/backward motor to a z3 before without removing the seat for exactly the reasons described above, tricky, but possible - if the seat goes up and down enough to get your hand in enough, used a 1/4 inch torx but and ratchet.

Good luck
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".