Tuning the 3.0i

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Tuning the 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Hi all any pointers to getting a bit more out of this baby? And how did they get 265 out of the 05 on Z4 (I think it was that year) are there many differences in the engine? Love the car but used to the power now and need a bit more lower down. It seems a small output for a large engine. I dont want to go turbo route just looking for a few more "Horses"
Who says size doesn't matter? After a straight 6 3.0 litre....Its hard to go back .
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Tuning the 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

A few options: -
  • Change over the Air Intake
    Remap
    Custom Exhaust?
I have had a remap on mine, stock Air Intake and Stock Exhaust, the remap has not dramatically changed the power delivery but it has now got a smooth power curve and what certainly seem a few more horses.
Last edited by Brian H on Tue 02 Feb, 2016 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

If your 3.0 feels weak at low RPM it needs checking over, it may be that your VANOS is not working (fairly common fault) My 3.0 has no issues at low RPM and pulls very well right down to 1,000 rpm in the lower gears.
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

lightning wrote:If your 3.0 feels weak at low RPM it needs checking over, it may be that your VANOS is not working (fairly common fault) My 3.0 has no issues at low RPM and pulls very well right down to 1,000 rpm in the lower gears.
Hi lightning. She pulls in all gears from all revs but it needs more....or should I say I need more...how did they get 265 out of the Z4? And what is the best remap?
Who says size doesn't matter? After a straight 6 3.0 litre....Its hard to go back .
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Brian H wrote:A few options: -
    Remap
    Custom Exhaust?
I have had a remap on mine, stock Air Intake and Stock Exhaust, the remap has not dramatically changed the power delivery but it has not got a smooth power curve and what certainly seem a few more horses.
Remap I'm thinking of but does not seem to much difference for the bucks. What did you use? And I have a K&N 57i to go on, but hearing problems with intake sensors...so a bit scared.
Cheers
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

ALPHA 3.0i Z3 wrote:…………..And what is the best remap?
Difficult to say which one is the best, there are so many people doing it these days as the kit to re-map has become more mainstream. I would personally opt for a standard proven map to start with from a trusted company, for the best results though you should opt for a live remap where they dyno your car then re-map, re-dyno and so on and so on until they get the optimum out of your car. The first standard map will cost c£200 and the second c£400 - 500.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Non turbo cars are difficult to tune, particularly when they are fairly highly tuned in the first place. The later 3.0 from BMW had about 10% more power as you say.
Not sure you'd notice much difference with an extra 30bhp on an engine that is already producing 231bhp, unless it comes with a fair bit of extra torque at under 2,000rpm.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

ALPHA 3.0i Z3 wrote:Remap I'm thinking of but does not seem to much difference for the bucks. What did you use? And I have a K&N 57i to go on, but hearing problems with intake sensors...so a bit scared.
Cheers
It is a subtle change no doubt, I had mine done at a local garage, no great big transformation but the difference is there. If you have intake sensor issues this will be present either with or without a re-map, the age of our cars means items like this will need to be replaced.

The Vanos Issues Lightening spoke of are becoming more of an common issue but to be honest I have not heard of many people having to deal with it on the 3.0 lump, the ///M definitely does suffer from this.
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Cheers guys. So ill swop air intake and report back on findings. Then save for a remap. Today I'm off to look at a set of wheels to get mine off for a refurb. If no good maybe a remap sooner than I thought .
I will keep you updated.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Remap
    Custom Exhaust?
I have had a remap on mine, stock Air Intake and Stock Exhaust, the remap has not dramatically changed the power delivery but it has not got a smooth power curve and what certainly seem a few more horses.
Has not got a smooth power curve?? But more b.h.p.? :? Sorry Brian, but was this what you really meant?
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Remap should be the last thing that you do. It should be used to optimise your setup. It shouldn't be used as a performance upgrade in itself.
Pingu
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

..how did they get 265 out of the Z4? And what is the best remap?[/quote]

Different engine I think the 3.0is had the N52 engine and the Z3 has the M54. I understand there is some restriction on the manifolds to clear the steering but that may be excuses.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Bonzo wrote:
    Remap
    Custom Exhaust?
Has not got a smooth power curve?? But more b.h.p.? :? Sorry Brian, but was this what you really meant?
Should have said now!!!! Typo I'm afraid :head:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Brian H wrote:If you have intake sensor issues this will be present either with or without a re-map, the age of our cars means items like this will need to be replaced.
He is talking about problems caused by high flow intake filter, not a re-map. Those "sport" intake filters usually need some filter oil and excess of this oil sometimes causes problems with incorrect air flow reading on MAF sensor.
pingu wrote:Remap should be the last thing that you do. It should be used to optimise your setup. It shouldn't be used as a performance upgrade in itself.
You can use remap as performance upgrade itself too. For example, you can advance fuel timing for higher octane fuel, that will give you more torque, or adjust other small things, such as gas pedal sensitivity. But I agree, that that should be the last thing to do, because normally you should remap after each hardware change. Best remaps are made individually on the dyno according to your wishes, driving style and individual components.

And I would recommend you to make "before" and "after" dyno measurements after each change, otherwise you might have some problems (air leaks, misaligned cams, etc) and not even notice that.

Bad thing about M54 is that these engines really don't like high revs (not like m52 or ///M engines), but they have a lot of torque at low revs and that's really cool. Probably that is not the best engine for tuning, it's more like a work horse. Doesn't goes fast, but pulls strong. And I would recommend to leave your stock intake and your engine will live long and happy life :)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

In general, the best way to tune an engine is to give it a full service and get everything back within tolerance :) .
Pingu
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

pingu wrote:In general, the best way to tune an engine is to give it a full service and get everything back within tolerance :) .
Service on the cards in the coming weeks....and I'm more than happy at the moment, but I see a Z4 3.0si coming to the stable soon, and later a Z4M. I'm in the trade so bidding my time. I think the 3 will be with me for a long time though, and We have a baby 1.9 on site which I'm also considering.
Unless someone wishes to buy her?
D
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

the z4 si has a completely different magnesium engine with 260 odd horses
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

The earlier Z4 3.0 had 231bhp and would reach 60mph in 5.7 seconds (Z3 3.0 5.8 seconds)

The later Z4 3.0 puts out 261bhp and the extra power means it reaches 60mph in 5.5 seconds.....0.2 seconds faster than the earlier version.
The 325bhp of the later Z3 M means 60mph arrives in 5.1 seconds.

All the above cars will achieve 150mph, give or take a few mph. Although that's academic unless you are on the Autobahn or a track.
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

HI Alpha
I have a few of the cars you mentioned.
They are all rather different.

The 3l Z3 is a classic go kart style, I use this one as my daily drive. I have not upgraded it as it pretty much meets my needs. It still has tremendous pulling power, despite the 94k miles on the clock.

The 3l Z4 in Mallorca is so much smoother and tbh more than powerful enough for their roads and they are reducing speed limits all over the island, so the real opportunities to drive it properly are reducing by the month. Already picked up one ticket which was entirely my fault, but it was worth the fine. It's obviously a much more comfortable drive and with the 6th gear sharper in the handling.

However the true drivers car is the Z4M coupe I have which is a real BMW drivers car. It's my beast and puts a smile on my face every single time it comes out of the garage. It needs respect driving and with only 20k miles on the clock is still not run in properly. It's a bit notchy in 1-2-3 gear changes but thereafter a true driving experience. I find if I do not have my 'eye in' it shows.

Summary - get to the Z4M as soon as you can it's a brilliant car. My one and only brand new car which I have truly loved since the day I bought it way back in September '06. My wife died from cancer in '05 and this was my present to myself.
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Anyone wanting to know about the 135i PM me, as this is not the forum for me to share publicly my thoughts as I doubt anyone on here will be that interested.
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Z3andZ4 wrote:HI Alpha
I have a few of the cars you mentioned.
They are all rather different.

The 3l Z3 is a classic go kart style, I use this one as my daily drive. I have not upgraded it as it pretty much meets my needs. It still has tremendous pulling power, despite the 94k miles on the clock.

The 3l Z4 in Mallorca is so much smoother and tbh more than powerful enough for their roads and they are reducing speed limits all over the island, so the real opportunities to drive it properly are reducing by the month. Already picked up one ticket which was entirely my fault, but it was worth the fine. It's obviously a much more comfortable drive and with the 6th gear sharper in the handling.

However the true drivers car is the Z4M coupe I have which is a real BMW drivers car. It's my beast and puts a smile on my face every single time it comes out of the garage. It needs respect driving and with only 20k miles on the clock is still not run in properly. It's a bit notchy in 1-2-3 gear changes but thereafter a true driving experience. I find if I do not have my 'eye in' it shows.

Summary - get to the Z4M as soon as you can it's a brilliant car. My one and only brand new car which I have truly loved since the day I bought it way back in September '06. My wife died from cancer in '05 and this was my present to myself.
Hi z3 &Z4.
Thanks for the input. I will as soon as allows get the Z4M. Tbh my aim is a Z4 as a fail the 3 to keep and use once in a while and the M to have as a weekender.
I am sort to hear of the loss in 05,and glad to see you managed to fo forward .
Regarding the 135 please send me your findings be interesting to read.
Regards
Alpha.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

The Z4 has never done it for me. I don't like the exterior design and l don't like the interior either.

But that's because l like "Classic" cars (l also own a Defender!) and the Z3 has the classic style with modern reliability. My brother has a Z4 3.0 so l have experience with that car. I wouldn't swap my Z3 for it, but he wouldn't swap his Z4 for my Z3 either!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Z3andZ4 wrote:Anyone wanting to know about the 135i PM me, as this is not the forum for me to share publicly my thoughts as I doubt anyone on here will be that interested.

Go for it, not a problem. Start a new thread, don't want to corrupt this one :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Gazza wrote:
Z3andZ4 wrote:Anyone wanting to know about the 135i PM me, as this is not the forum for me to share publicly my thoughts as I doubt anyone on here will be that interested.

Go for it, not a problem. Start a new thread, don't want to corrupt this one :wink:
You have my permission to tell us all about the 135i,,,, Z
A :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

lightning wrote:The Z4 has never done it for me. I don't like the exterior design and l don't like the interior either.

But that's because l like "Classic" cars (l also own a Defender!) and the Z3 has the classic style with modern reliability. My brother has a Z4 3.0 so l have experience with that car. I wouldn't swap my Z3 for it, but he wouldn't swap his Z4 for my Z3 either!
Love hearing peoples opinions - thats why we all make our cars so unique. I am with you that I never fell in love with the original Z4's anywhere near as much as I did with the Z3, but then again, I think the original Z4 Coupe is absolutely stunning whereas I just can't see the attraction of a Z3 coupe.

The new Z4's however... they are a think of outstanding beauty in my mind. As we say, each to their own, and I love hearing about the differences.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

lightning wrote:The Z4 has never done it for me. I don't like the exterior design and l don't like the interior either.
DITTO! :cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

New thread on the 135i as requested/encouraged.

Gazza - left it in here so those who wanted to read my findings look in the Z3 folder.
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Z3andZ4 wrote:New thread on the 135i as requested/encouraged.

Gazza - left it in here so those who wanted to read my findings look in the Z3 folder.
Reading it now.
Cheers