Door card handle separated from door card ( top )

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Door card handle separated from door card ( top )

Post by kjb1 »

As title states, my little Z, has suffered this common fault on the drivers side door card, top section where mirror switches are located.

What is the official fix? mine currently crudely held in place with a cable tie.

Sent from my iPhone
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Door card handle separated from door card ( top )

Post by peter2b »

I had the same , I used a hot glue gun to fill in the mess behind the handle where the mounting screw goes when hard i drilled a new hole for the screw , been on now for 3 months still holding(fingers crossed) but I now shut the door by using the lower part of the handle
peter2b
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I suspect this is more down to individual imagination rather than an adopted fix - I like P2b fix, and a glue gun is always handy
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I fixed by drilling a small hole in the "meat" of the handle and screwing in a screw with big washer from the opposite side of door card. Also strengthened the area for original screw by putting additional big washers (needed to adjust with dremel to fit in), so that there is bigger area to even the pressure and not so easy to break that handle part.

Also make sure door card is fitted well (replace all broken plastic tabs and fit correctly surround for door opening switch).

So shutting the door without worrying about everything for 3 months now ;)
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

I repaired mine with a large washer. When I take the door cards out to service the windows I will repair the plastic with Milliput to make a more long lasting repair.