Thermostat change

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Thermostat change

Post by kjb1 »

Well it has been an eventful few days:

Awaited delivery of many new shiny bits from Eurocarparts. To include a new Thermostat. Any ways, new thermostat arrived last Friday, decided to get straight on it as I have had issues with over fuelling ( coolant temp send acts as a cold choke feed ). And the car hasn't been getting out of the blue at all!! So, socket set and numerous tools in hand, off I go to sort the stat. Strip fan cowling, air hose, top cover etc all out the way, remove fan, all going great, looking at bolts, they were heavily corroded on one side, brake cleaner to clean all mess away and see what was going on, good soaking of penetrating fluid and yep, you guessed it, two out of the 4 bolts snapped in the head. Now stuck with car on drive I began to panic, I managed to get the thermostat housing / stat off, to reveal 6mm of thread for both bolts. I soaked these in pen fluid, spoke with work colleague who suggested heat gun and mole grips. This method was unsuccessful. So after a few days I contacted an old school engineering firm who told me to get the car to them and they should be able to help.

So today arrives, I ordered a towing bar from Screw fix for £23.99, which another work mate collected for me on the way to my house to give me a tow. He arrives, we go to the boot, and fail straight away, towing hook is missing. My Mercedes daily was first port of call for the tow eye, sadly clutching at straws, the thread was way thicker, so on to our Nissan leaf, again, totally different. Call to another guy I know with a nice e46 vert, and yes he is on his way with the eye.

In the mean time, as we are stood around, I show my mate the broken threads, tools still at hand, off he goes and tries a 5mm socket hammered onto the thread of first bolt, and you guessed it, ratchet attached and it starts to turn!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Out it comes, soon happy!! then another 5mm socket for the second one, and again out it comes!!!! so if this happens to anyone else, help is at hand, they will go.

Pics to follow:

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Thermostat change

Post by kjb1 »

ImageImage

Before trying head, note corrosion:

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Now fresh coolant added, along with good bleed, and now temp sat beautifully at 12 o clock with heaters that are lovely and toasty!!!

Also did rear tail light bulb change, nice cheap fixes today!

even returned the towing bar to screw fix and got £24 back!!

SO happy!!

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

New exhaust fitting Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

good fix
peter2b
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Well done sorting that problem. I have heard of some owners having this problem (I didn't) with the thermostat bolts although they are only lightly torqued - its this corrosion/seizing problem you get with steel and aluminium. :shock:
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

correct, steel bolts into aluminum housing! thsnkfully all sorted now. Gave engine a good clean up too with fine grade sand paper and brake cleaner.

Discs and pads all round and new exhaust this week.

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

mot just done,£39,and no advisories!! happy with that

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

:cheers
Last edited by bertiejaffa on Thu 10 Mar, 2016 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Good work considering how the car was a few weeks ago
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

bertiejaffa wrote:Good work considering how the car was a few weeks ago
indeed!! I'm really happy with the way its driving, its a pleasure to look at and own. Once this wind deflector is fitted, and I've done a cracking deal on an e36 mtec steering wheel, with these on its going to look even better!!

my bushes to do the seats have arrived from Ian Grayson off here, they will be done tomorrow when I get up after nights tonight!!

Its starting to look and feel a tidy car! no leaks aswell which is a bonus!!

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

So removed seats and decided to check under carpets!! wow!! they are soaking underneath, totally dry on top, sopping underneath!! leaks are cured now, so I've got to dry these out!! anyone know a good walk through yo use to get everything out to remove carpets?

Sent from my iPhone
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Seats / Center console / speaker covers in front / rear storage box speakers and lateral trims / plastic covers at base of the doors / glove box and associated trims / steering under trims and trims around the foot pedals etc.
Then you will need to make a decision. The carpet is in two halves - rear and fron half. The rear will be easily removed after all the above has been done. The front carpet is fitted by the factory before the heater / AC matric box is fitted, and the carpet goes all the way round the back of it without a split. ie. it has a pre-cut hole in it to allow the heater box to fit. You can remove the heater matrix box which requires huge effort, or use a Stanley knife and cut the carpet at the back side of the box to be able to remove it. I cut mine when removing the carpet. It fits back well and is completely invisible when the center console is re-fitted anyhow.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't actually...just tons of screws. It has the benefit of providing opportunity to thoroughly wash / clean and polish all the trim as well as do a really good clean-up of the entire interior including all the under dash stuff which will be very accessible with everything removed...you can actually lay down under the dash and dust / clean and tidy up the wiring etc etc... well worth the effort when completed.
Remember to always disconnect the battery before disconnecting seat and safety belt wiring !!

If you look at the image below, you will see the "large square" hole cut-out at the front end of the carpet allowing the heater box to be fitted... you need to cut through at the front / firewall side to allow the carpet to be removed from behind the heater box.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

ok so my rear carpet is out!! and drying.

I now have decision to make re: front carpet. At mo one problem is my centre console, its out ( to a point ) the little red led button for my alarm system, its got no plug to disconnect, its soldered. Shall i cut and remove?

Im really nervous of these 3g ews alarm systems!! i have no alarm fob, alarm has never activated since in my possession, i have disconnected battery and alarm did sound but then died off. Will it start back up afterwards ok?

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Southernboy wrote:Seats / Center console / speaker covers in front / rear storage box speakers and lateral trims / plastic covers at base of the doors / glove box and associated trims / steering under trims and trims around the foot pedals etc.
Then you will need to make a decision. The carpet is in two halves - rear and fron half. The rear will be easily removed after all the above has been done. The front carpet is fitted by the factory before the heater / AC matric box is fitted, and the carpet goes all the way round the back of it without a split. ie. it has a pre-cut hole in it to allow the heater box to fit. You can remove the heater matrix box which requires huge effort, or use a Stanley knife and cut the carpet at the back side of the box to be able to remove it. I cut mine when removing the carpet. It fits back well and is completely invisible when the center console is re-fitted anyhow.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't actually...just tons of screws. It has the benefit of providing opportunity to thoroughly wash / clean and polish all the trim as well as do a really good clean-up of the entire interior including all the under dash stuff which will be very accessible with everything removed...you can actually lay down under the dash and dust / clean and tidy up the wiring etc etc... well worth the effort when completed.
Remember to always disconnect the battery before disconnecting seat and safety belt wiring !!

If you look at the image below, you will see the "large square" hole cut-out at the front end of the carpet allowing the heater box to be fitted... you need to cut through at the front / firewall side to allow the carpet to be removed from behind the heater box.

Will alarm be an issue after this? it wasn't or hasn't been activated in my possession, i have no fob, and use key to lock car in lock with central locking.

Sent from my iPhone
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

My cooling problem was my viscous fan.

I've had the problem since I got the car, but it was never serious enough to fix.

Temperature on INPA was a constant 177F (80C), but temp was always at about 11 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock on the gauge. I fitted a new radiator (old one had a slight leak). I thought that might cure the problem, but it may have made it worse as the core is now clear of debris. When engine was cold and running, I could stop the fan with my hand, so, initially, I ignored the fan as a problem. I had replaced the thermostat when I first got the car, but when I tested the old one, it was OK.

After five years, I decided to try and find the source of the problem.

I measured the radiator temp and it was around 10C all over, regardless of how long the car was running :shock: . I thought "I haven't tried to stop the fan when the engine is hot". Damn thing nearly broke my fingers. Conclusion = the viscous coupling doesn't disengage properly.

The fan on the 330 is the new coupling (11527505302). The one that came off the M was 11521740963, so I put on the 330 one. I was able to stop the fan easily and the temp gauge now sits in the 12 o'clock position and the radiator is hot all over (75C at the top and 30C at the bottom). INPA temp is still around 180F (80C), but that only measures the coolant temp at the top of the engine.

Things to note. With a seized viscous coupling, the coolant entering the bottom of the engine will be very cold, and as the temperature sensor is at the top, you won't know. There is a small possibility of thermal expansion problems and there will be a loss of efficiency, but they are unlikely to be serious. Reading t'web, the most serious potential problem is catastrophic failure of the viscous coupling. This leads to the fan breaking free and causing secondary damage to the radiator and anything around the front of the engine.

Now all I need is a new coupling for the 330. Cheapest I've seen is around £70 :bawl: , but I'm sure I can get one cheaper than that :rtm: .
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I can't answer alarm questions - I don't have one, and if the car ever came with one it's been removed - thankfully. I doubt it will bother the alarm to cut the wire and then re-connect before you connect the battery.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

ok so ive tackled this a little differently, got the rear carpets out all cleaned, and drying

Front carpets, i removed side trims / speaker shrouds etc, and folded carpets over, squeezed and ringed them out numerous times, soaked water up with vax hoover, and towels, had hair driers going all day on it, they are dry!!!!

treated all the surface rust spots underneath carpets with kurust, then sprayed silver hammerite ( direct for rust ) onto all patches. So it should be good for duration I have the car and longer.

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

From this:

To this:

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

my advice: check under your carpets 100%

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

had a good hoover up whilst in there, looking much better already! cant wait to fit it all back in morning now.

With a repair made to drivers seat bushes, will feel a better car again.

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

So carpets now re installed, removed my scuttle pan also ( wipers off ) and confirmed both drains functional. These are good, small bit of rubbish in there but hose pipe on down them and confirmed dropping out of bottom of car nicely, so this again is sorted.

Refitted everything, then started fitting carpets back in, its looking more like an interior again now, centre console back in etc. Heater panel in. Next job is fix seats.

Sprayed my spark plug cover aswell today as it was a mess. Looks good in silver.

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

kjb1 wrote:So removed seats and decided to check under carpets!! wow!! they are soaking underneath, totally dry on top, sopping underneath!! leaks are cured now, so I've got to dry these out!! anyone know a good walk through yo use to get everything out to remove carpets?

Sent from my iPhone
Full write up in the knowledge base
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal