Z3 hardtop purchase

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
DaveWill71

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Z3 hardtop purchase

Post by DaveWill71 »

Hi

Can anyone give me any ideas of where I can buy a hardtop for my Z3, other than eBay? Happy to go new if necessary.....because she's worth it ;-)

Thanks
D
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Z3 hardtop purchase

Post by Wookee »

DaveWill71 wrote:Hi

Can anyone give me any ideas of where I can buy a hardtop for my Z3, other than eBay? Happy to go new if necessary.....because she's worth it ;-)

Thanks
D
Sorry, I can't help with your question, but I just wondered why you want a hard top? I see Z3's with them on and wonder what the advantages are :shrug
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Agree with you on that one!!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Ebay is usually the best place to get them - people on here will sell them but thats usually when they are selling the car. Spring is always a good time to pick one up, dont forget you will also need the fitting kit.

To be honest I think they were £2000 ish when they were new and IF BMW have any left then this is what you would be looking at - ebay is much cheaper, infact you could buy it and the fitting kit and have it fully repsrayed for less cost than a new one.

As for benefits, there are loads. I have a hardtop on both mine in the winter and it saves the hood from all the worst elements, plus it dramatically changes the look of the car for the few months its on. Sure you lose the ability to drop the roof on those rare crisp winter mornings but come on, really... when its 2 degrees outside and I see someone with the top down and 7 coats and a hat I just think p***k

Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

+ different look
+ better sound insulation
+ good in snowy winters (rear window defroster)
+ makes the roadster a little more stiff

- can scratch the painted surface of the car
- don't let you open the top

So if hardtop with fitting kit is half the price of what all the car is worth...
Got mine for around 100 GBP, including fitting kit, which I already had, so I sold the spare and that made me my hardtop for free. I use hardtop on my winter daily driver during the winter. As most people don't drive z3 in the snow, there is no much point of getting it.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

bertiejaffa wrote: Sure you lose the ability to drop the roof on those rare crisp winter mornings but come on, really... when its 2 degrees outside and I see someone with the top down and 7 coats and a hat I just think p***k
:D Now that's harsh...I'll have you know I only wear one coat with appropriate base layers and gloves when I top down in the snow (not that we have any in Kent!).
The addition of heated seats has negated the need for more than one coat on winter top down days anyaway. A good trapper hat is a must though :dunce:
I do get some looks but surprisingly down here there are few other nutters who enjoy fresh air motoring, mostly on two wheels it seems, now that's just silly!

I've had a hardtop but sold it to someone who needed a lot more than me and I needed to spend on other areas of the car - the fact I had no room for it or a hoist meant it never got used. I loved the look especially as I had black hardtop against my Montreal Blue paint, looked lovely but just never got used.

It's worth keeping in mind a couple of things - a new soft top costs £350 including a new window and they last years so worth keeping in mind before spending 1k on a hard top if it's just to protect the soft top. If you have leaks the most difficult to fix is where the soft top sealing frame meets the body at the back/boot area. That is cured when you fit a new top as they will take that seal off and reseal when fitting the new top. The rest of the leaks can be easily addressed and should be as they will not always be cured by the fitment of a hard to (A pillar top seal, seals along the windows -the hardtop will also leak if the windows don't meet the seals properly).

If you have the room and hoist (easily done apparently) or a helpful pair of hands to fit/remove as you like then it's a very nice accessory to have. If you considering spending on a new I'd look at a Hamman top just for the looks of it. The Wiesmann top also looks nicer than the OEM but I don't think they make new ones anymore.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Dino D wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote: Sure you lose the ability to drop the roof on those rare crisp winter mornings but come on, really... when its 2 degrees outside and I see someone with the top down and 7 coats and a hat I just think p***k
:D Now that's harsh...I'll have you know I only wear one coat with appropriate base layers and gloves when I top down in the snow (not that we have any in Kent!).

:lol: On the edge of Saddleworth Moor it slightly different - it snows in June ha ha... :cheers
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

£350?? where is that based

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Dino D wrote:
The addition of heated seats has negated the need for more than one coat on winter top down days anyaway. A good trapper hat is a must though :dunce:
I do get some looks but surprisingly down here there are few other nutters who enjoy fresh air motoring, mostly on two wheels it seems, now that's just silly!

I've had a hardtop but sold it to someone who needed a lot more than me and I needed to spend on other areas of the car - the fact I had no room for it or a hoist meant it never got used. I loved the look especially as I had black hardtop against my Montreal Blue paint, looked lovely but just never got used.

It's worth keeping in mind a couple of things - a new soft top costs £350 including a new window and they last years so worth keeping in mind before spending 1k on a hard top if it's just to protect the soft top. If you have leaks the most difficult to fix is where the soft top sealing frame meets the body at the back/boot area. That is cured when you fit a new top as they will take that seal off and reseal when fitting the new top. The rest of the leaks can be easily addressed and should be as they will not always be cured by the fitment of a hard to (A pillar top seal, seals along the windows -the hardtop will also leak if the windows don't meet the seals properly).

If you have the room and hoist (easily done apparently) or a helpful pair of hands to fit/remove as you like then it's a very nice accessory to have. If you considering spending on a new I'd look at a Hamman top just for the looks of it. The Wiesmann top also looks nicer than the OEM but I don't think they make new ones anymore.
£350 for new soft top? where is this? thanks

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

croydon soft tops
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

bertiejaffa wrote:croydon soft tops
Does that include fitting??

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

kjb1 wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:croydon soft tops
Does that include fitting??

Sent from my iPhone
yup - check out gookahs progress journal under his signature
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Yes, from what I've seen of their pricing. It's a stitched in window.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

ok so thats roof and window fitted for £350? thats a great price

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

I am one of those who drives around with the roof down on any sunny day just for the hell of it :D. With the excellent heater and wind deflector I only need the one coat.... 8-). That's why I was asking about the need for a hardtop.... I get the different look aspect.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I had to make my own rear fittings for the hard top I love the change in look with the hard top on it give me 3 cars in one soft top on, soft top down and in winter hard top on and swmbo like the look with the hard top on I'm lucky that I have a large man shed to keep her in (car not swmbo)
peter2b
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Wookee wrote:Yes, from what I've seen of their pricing. It's a stitched in window.

All aftermarket ones are stitched in even the ones that are sold for £700.
The only zip in ones are BMW which is great if you have a spare £2K
I can get 6 new roofs fitted for that amount. with new windows in each one.
Soft tops in Croyden are top quality also.

As regards the Hard top. its a different look, it's quieter, it stiffens the body up, and it has a great un-distorted heated rear window that gets rid of the frost quickly.
I have a hoist so I can take it off in 5 minutes if I want to,

And I have just had mine wrapped in satin black too, to give a different look

looks good in the frost too:

I like 'different' :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Agree with most of the above. A hard top is a nice extra if you use the car all year around. They look nice on the Z3 and give you a much bigger glass rear window which is heated. If the car is just a summer, weekend toy then you don't need one. I would expect to pay at least £800 for a second hand hard top and BMW fitting kit on ebay - some are a bit more from professional breakers. They are very well made.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Do all Z3's have a lined hood?

I ask because mine does, and l found it to be quieter at motorway speeds with the soft top raised than with the hard top on.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

lightning wrote:Do all Z3's have a lined hood?

I ask because mine does, and l found it to be quieter at motorway speeds with the soft top raised than with the hard top on.
facelifts only
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Rafolian wrote:Agree with you on that one!!
Me too! Unless it's left outside on the road 24/7 in a dodgy area, which luckily Z3lda isn't. Top down dry driving in Winter is fine if you prepare properly. You don't really even need gloves, and if the rain starts, the top can be up in 15-20 secs. Unless you're on a motorway of course. :)
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

lightning wrote:Do all Z3's have a lined hood?

Hi lightning. The hood-up/hardtop on is really quite an interesting subject. The hood-up at motorway speed is perhaps a little subjective and seems to very much depend on what speed one is travelling - I personally have found it a little noisier at 50ish than at 70 and occasionally 70+.
The hardtop,I found to be a generally quieter experience and certainly offered a much better rear-view mirror image than with the Mohair Hood up - that is entirely down to the larger rear screen and the fact that it comes around the sides a little more.
I have not had my hardtop on this Winter simply because Ms RoosterinaRoadster has damaged her right shoulder and the logistics of getting another pair of hands was an absolute faff and the timing and the window of dry mohair being lowered into place for the duration of the Winter was proving to be difficult.
After I removed it in the early Spring last year I noticed that there was a mark on the rear top narrow painted panel that the rubber weather seal came to rest on,this proved a little difficult to remove - even with G3 compound and a good polishing with Amway Silicone Glaze. I am going to try again in a few days but with Mer.
Come this next Winter I will endeavour to fit the hardtop again. It is just a pity that they were not available with a lift-up lockable glass sunroof panel for some 'fresh air during those occasional nice days in our balmy Winter periods.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

gookah wrote:
Wookee wrote:Yes, from what I've seen of their pricing. It's a stitched in window.

All aftermarket ones are stitched in even the ones that are sold for £700.
The only zip in ones are BMW which is great if you have a spare £2K
I can get 6 new roofs fitted for that amount. with new windows in each one.
Soft tops in Croyden are top quality also.

As regards the Hard top. its a different look, it's quieter, it stiffens the body up, and it has a great un-distorted heated rear window that gets rid of the frost quickly.
I have a hoist so I can take it off in 5 minutes if I want to,

And I have just had mine wrapped in satin black too, to give a different look

looks good in the frost too:

I like 'different' :D
Hi gookak. Now that is an interesting concept and one that I had not considered. My automatic option would be to cut,fit and sew then trim with a Black Vinyl top over the paintwork as was all the go in the 60's and into the 70's.
I did a full vinyl black roof on my old 1966 (KLO 426D) Ex Securicor Data carrying van in the early 70's complete with ex Lotus Cortina big wheels/low profile tyres and lowered and stiffened suspension - it really did look the Dogs Bo*****s.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.