new thermstat

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
val hooligan

Z3 roadster 1.9

new thermstat

Post by val hooligan »

Hi all, new on here so this is my first post.

Got my 1999 z3 1.9 about 7 months ago and I`m now going to put in a new thermostat as it`s running a bit cool, going to change the belt and expansion tank aswell.
I ordered the parts from euro car parts and I wanted to know if the housing comes with a gasket, the guy there wasn't sure, if not is there a sealant I can use or would I just have to get a new gasket.

Thanks in advance.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: new thermstat

Post by Del »

There should be a protruding rubber seal set into the surface of the new thermostat. On the 1.9 the thermostat is integrated into a complete plastic unit. Should be no need for any separate sealant.
val hooligan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by val hooligan »

Thanks Del,
got the gear and will be sticking it all on over the weekend weather permitting.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

careful with the stat bolts, two of mine snapped, looked heavily corroded, order new bolts from dealers.

Sent from my iPhone
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Give all the bolts a good spray with WD40 a few times before starting.As I'm sure that this will help.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

it wont get to where it needs to be, issue is steelbolts, into ally.

I soaked mine in plus gas etc for days leading up to the job, the two that looked nasty, were the two that let me down! i would put four fresh bolts back for the minor cost.

Sent from my iPhone
val hooligan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by val hooligan »

Thanks for the reply chaps,
Well I got the rad off changed the expansion tank as it was leaking, then looking at the stat bolts they were all corroded bar one and that one wouldn't turn without a good chance of it snapping(plenty of lube on), couldn't even get a socket on the others as they were too far gone,
Am I going to have to drill these out and helicoil maybe, sounds like it could be an expensive job??!!
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

new thermstat

Post by kjb1 »

tap a smaller socket over them with a hammer, they will go, get them off and change them out for fresh bolts. If they snap, carefully you will be able to pull stat housing etc all off, then there will be bare thread left on display where they have failed, again a 5mm socket hammered onto the thread that is left, and they will turn out lovely.

This is what i did and it worked. good luck
val hooligan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by val hooligan »

Yes thanks, tried the smaller socket trick but still no joy, think I`m going to have to take it to someone :(
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

you clearly not trying hard enough if they not snapped

Sent from my iPhone
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

You have my sympathy. I have read good reports about this stuff called “loctite freeze?” spray. It is supposed to work in the same was as applying heat – but instead providing a penetrating fluid, which through some chemical reaction, provides a blast of “coldness” to cause the two parts to contract and separate. Sold at Halfords etc.
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

On my 2.0 I was surprised by how easy everything came apart, all surface were shiny as new. Job took less than half an hour. I loved the push in hose connectors. Bolts were greased before they were refitted just for the next time.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I think I must have been lucky when I did mine bolts came out very easy took no more than 20 min to change it
peter2b
val hooligan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by val hooligan »

Well thanks for all your advice, I finally got the stat changed, 3 bolts snapped so the answer was to weld a nut on to each one and then out, marvellous!
And I did try hard but couldn't get those buggers out, that`s why I gave it to someone else to do!
Anyway job done and now up to temp and nice warm heater.

Thanks again all.

Next job change fuel filter, gearbox oil and get the mildew off the roof.