Jacking up the front

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Jacking up the front

Post by Alan W »

Never been able to find a place l'm happy with under the middle of the car to jack whole front up.. so l always do one side or the other and l use this bit here as the jacking point.. is it okay to do this?

1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jacking up the front

Post by Brian4 »

That's where I jack mine from when I want to put the axle stands under the jack points. I usually put some thick rubber between the jack head and the bolts there so that I don't damage the heads.
Also when I took the sills off I used that point for the axle stands at the front and near the rear subframe mount points at the rear.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Where do you put the axle stands? I use the bottom of the wishbone bracket for the axle stands and jack on the jacking points. I've made a small piece of packing from two pieces of wood that fits in the jacking point. You don't need a low-profile jack for a Z3, but you do for an E46 - that's the only reason that I have one :) .

Pingu
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

I usually put the axle stands the other way round (90 deg from yours) so they fit under the bracket at the bolts rather than under the ring of the bush bracket. It is just personal preference as I just like the supports to be as far apart as possible if I am going under it just seems more stable to me. Illogical/logical ? just my gut feeling. I'm not keen on axle stands in fact I have made some from wood which just seem more stable to me, bigger footprint.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Brian4 wrote:I usually put the axle stands the other way round (90 deg from yours) so they fit under the bracket at the bolts rather than under the ring of the bush bracket. It is just personal preference as I just like the supports to be as far apart as possible if I am going under it just seems more stable to me. Illogical/logical ? just my gut feeling. I'm not keen on axle stands in fact I have made some from wood which just seem more stable to me, bigger footprint.
I agree that the wider the stance, the better. The car feels well planted when I try to rock it, though.
Pingu