Front end rebuild

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Front end rebuild

Post by Gordon13 »

Got a little play in the front ball joints so started looking into bits.

Lots of options but have found a set of wishbones inc ball joints, rear bush, drop links and complete track rods for £95

price sounds good - they are German made by ECD.

I've not heard of them, are they any good ? anyone have any experience of them or recommendations ???

Cheers Gordon
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Front end rebuild

Post by Wookee »

I can't say I've heard of them, but I'll be very interested to know how your rebuild goes as I'll be doing something similar next winter....got the rear to do first.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I bought some ABS sensors from ECD recently. The price was £27 for both sides. The stealer wanted £94 for one.
Great service, ordered Friday and delivered Tuesday.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I have not heard of the brand before. I like a bargain myself and I am certainly not a disciple for only buying expensive BMW parts. However, that price is probably less than half that which you would pay for other decent quality aftermarket parts such as Meyle HD or Lemforder (the OE manufacturer) and so I can only assume they are budget quality parts. Even the budget brand at Euro Car parts would set you back that money just for the control arms alone without the rear bush.

Unless you can get some good reviews from other users, I would be worried about quality and fit.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I would imagine okay if needed for an mot to sell a car but if you are keeping the car l'd say for steering / suspension l would go for Meyle HD or Lemforder. There are a lot of cheap cheap nasty Chinese parts around and there is and old saying.. buy cheap and you end up buying twice.. and on a more serious note dont try to save money on brakes/suspension/steering... your life might depend on it!
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If I get the Meyle HD set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200762551643

Is there anything else that is sensible to change at the same time? Maybe the anti-roll bar stabiliser link - this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272164984048

I'm not interested in a full-on refurb of the suspension/steering but I want to change what's sensible while I'm in there. May be track rod ends as well? Possibly in a full kit like this - seems a good price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171236978281
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I have fitted them to my 2.8 after an itv ball joint failure. Fitted with no problems and quality wise looked no different to the ones I removed. (I know you can't tell metal quality by sight!) I have had the car for nearly 4 years now, and have no intention of selling in the foreseeable future, so if they fail (which I would doubt) I will let you all know!
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

Thanks for the input guys.

I am also a Meyle HD or Lemforder fan and agree that quality is important

The ECD ones are German and was hoping lots of people were going to sing their praises and save me £70 against the Meyle HD or Lemforder Kit.
Rafolian wrote:I have fitted them to my 2.8 after an itv ball joint failure. Fitted with no problems and quality wise looked no different to the ones I removed. (I know you can't tell metal quality by sight!) I have had the car for nearly 4 years now, and have no intention of selling in the foreseeable future, so if they fail (which I would doubt) I will let you all know!
Did you fit them 4 years ago? any tyre wear problems ?

Regards Gordon