Running cold

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Running cold

Post by mrscalex »

I just picked up a 2nd Z3 tonight. The intention was too break it for spares to feed the first one. I bought it blind and got it for a good price so wasn't expecting much. Trouble is as soon as I saw it and in-particular when I drove it home I'm not sure if I can bring myself to as it's quite a good'un.

Anyway. The only problem I had with it was the temperature gauge wasn't coming out of the blue, except for the hard slog up Birdlip Hill which is well known for mullering cars. Even then it only briefly crept outside the blue and nowhere near 12 o'clock.

I want to go easy with what I spend on the car until I decide for sure what I do with it. But I'm itching to sort this problem out.

It sounds like a classic thermostat stuck open problem. Could it be anything else before I start spending pennies?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Running cold

Post by Zed Carer »

99.9% certain that it is a failed thermostat. Fortunately they do fail open so the engine runs cold rather than failing closed and overheating.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks Zed Carer. Pretty clear and conclusive then!
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

Had the same issue with mine, the plastic securing lugs for the thermostat had snapped off. You can replace them with metal versions.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

ben5010 wrote:Had the same issue with mine, the plastic securing lugs for the thermostat had snapped off. You can replace them with metal versions.
Is that on an M44 engine? What lugs are those? Internal that secure the actual valve in place? Did they allow the valve to move slightly and affect operation?
ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Sounds like a typical M44 thermostat issue - one of the first jobs I did on mine. It could be causing the car to run too rich as the ECU thinks the engine hasn't warmed up, so you might get slightly better MPG as well :)
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

ben5010 wrote:Had the same issue with mine, the plastic securing lugs for the thermostat had snapped off. You can replace them with metal versions.
the housing comes complete all one unit, did mine recently, Im lost as to what lugs you are replacing for metal ones?

Sent from my iPhone
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Are cheapo stats to be avoided?

This is a Circoli for £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-T ... 0522318759
ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Same part sold by Carparts4less and Europarts, the Ebay one you linked to is cheaper than both by around £7.
If these two sell that brand there should be no problems with it. I may get one to keep as a spare, went out in the Z today and noticed it was running cool according to the guage, usually sits at 12 but was at 11 today, climbs to 12 if sitting at tickover so it may have been colder air today than I thought. Will keep an eye on it.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

colb wrote:Same part sold by Carparts4less and Europarts, the Ebay one you linked to is cheaper than both by around £7.
If these two sell that brand there should be no problems with it. I may get one to keep as a spare
I think that's a fair point. They may not be the very finest quality but they should be good enough.
ImageImage
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

eurocarparts stat here, £23 and doing the job nicely. For that money you cant moan if it lasts only two to three years.

Put fresh bolts in when I replaced mine. Would 100% recommend anyone to do this, to make life easier the next time around.

Sent from my iPhone
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

mrscalex wrote:
Is that on an M44 engine? What lugs are those? Internal that secure the actual valve in place? Did they allow the valve to move slightly and affect operation?
The metal thermostat is secured into the housing by plastic lugs, they break off and allow the thermostat to flop around in the housing. This means it can no longer regulate the flow to control the temperature.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

its easier to just replace whole housing / stat etc whilst in there surely?

Sent from my iPhone
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

mrscalex wrote:Are cheapo stats to be avoided?

This is a Circoli for £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-T ... 0522318759

You could always but a BMW one with it's inherent problem.
'Quality' is no guarantee of quality

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

I got one off eurocarparts £22 and its far cheaper than oem.

Sent from my iPhone