Semi permanently fixing on a hard top?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Semi permanently fixing on a hard top?

Post by srichards »

If you leave the hard top on does it cause problems to the hood as it is folded away and potentially getting damp in the cavity of the car and not being stretched back into place?

I'm considering getting a hard top and just leaving it on all year round as I'm finding I don't really want the roof down much and the amount of maintenance required to keep it mould free and the amount of water it lets in is becoming a bit of a pain.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Semi permanently fixing on a hard top?

Post by Gazza »

Protect the plastic window to prevent scratches.
The cavity is inside the car and will receive the same ambient temperature as the inside of the car.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I left mine on for about 2 years when I was poorly and unable to drive. It had the window blanket, but nothing else. Doesn't seem to have done it any harm. Just make sure the softtop is properly dry before you fit the hardtop. If your car has got wet inside due to a leaky softtop, it would be best to dry under the carpets first.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

As Robert says - just make sure it is 100% dry first and then put something in the fold of the window - I dont have the window blanket instead I use a rolled up bath towel - does the same job and doesn't leave the window creased. I had mine on for 2 years once with no issues.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Sounds easy enough. I'm sure I can find something to go over the window to protect it a bit. It's useful that one can be left on :)