Problem with Z3 running

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Problem with Z3 running

Post by Mike »

Hi all,
MY Zed today developed a wierd problem. Its been misbehaving on and off and down on power recently.
Today it developed what seeems to be a misfire. Checked unplugging each coil pack and all give engine note change. Also replaced the crankcase sensor but same problem. OK on idle but it will not rev over 2500. If I hit the throttle to 2500 revs it then backs off. Holding the throttle open it hunts around 2500 revs and sounds like a misfire. Any suggestions? Tried unplugging the MAF and it just about runs but at less revs.
scratching my head!
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Problem with Z3 running

Post by Robin82 »

Camshaft Position Sensor. I would put money on it. I had exactly the same symptoms - mis-firing, sudden loss of power, up and down revs etc. To be sure would be worth doing a diagnostic test to see which error codes are thrown up first.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the reply Robin. I also think this is the case. I tried replacing aith and old one but same symtoms. I guess the old one is knacked as well. Got my local indi coming next week with his box of tricks so we will check the error codes.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Fuel pump relay on the fritz is also another source of odd behaviour.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Well I put the car in the garage last night, started it this morning and possible to rev to the limit 6000. No sign of problem causing lack of revs. Guess this does point at the camshaft sensor being iffy. I am getting a slight rattle from Under the car that could be the cat; I wondor if this would cquse the symptoms I am seeing.
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

Mike wrote:Well I put the car in the garage last night, started it this morning and possible to rev to the limit 6000. No sign of problem causing lack of revs. Guess this does point at the camshaft sensor being iffy. I am getting a slight rattle from Under the car that could be the cat; I wondor if this would cquse the symptoms I am seeing.
Hi Mike

My issue's were intermittent too - fine for a few days then not. There was an overall roughness that was constant though - especially when giving it some boot and a definite performance drop.

Funnily enough I currently have a little rattle coming from under the car too - sounds like its directly under my seat and I've noticed I only really hear it when it drops to about 2200 revs. Like a clanging metal noise. I only noticed it a few weeks ago and I had fixed the CPS issue last year so I don't think the two are connected for me. Been advised it could either be the CAT (hopefully not :( ) or a loose heat shield.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Thanks Robin, Error Code shows camshaft sensor. Got one on order from BMW Vannes, arrives tomorrow. Should not take too long to install. Had to run the car into La Gacilly village this morning. Alright for about 2Kms then the occasional hiccup when accelerating. Didnt do it on the way home.

Investigated rattle and found it to be a bit of stick jammed in besides the heat shield pushing it out of position. Fairly normal occurance here as it a bit rural to say the least. Either that or the dog has been hiding sticks again. Would not be the first time.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Well, !!i got the new camshaft sensor, installed it and car is like new. Also all the warning lights have gone out, my ABS and brake wear warning lights have gone out so i guess this was really it.
happy boy now LOL
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Glad it is sorted . Code readers are good as they give you a starting point where to look. Usually clear the codes first and then see which is the first to come back is usually a good indication of the fault.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I think it is pretty unlikely that replacing a camshaft sensor would do anything with the ABS warning light and certainly not the brake wear warning light! First, check the meaning of which lights they were here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=35657

The ABS light will go out of its own accord after a few restarts if the fault has cleared. It will come back on again if the fault recurs. This is what usually happens with a dirty wheel sensor, which gives an intermittent signal. Most of the time it is okay, then it gives a slightly skew reading and brings the light on. Light goes off after a day or two, until you get another slightly skew reading and it comes back on again. There are other faults that can bring the light on, so it is worth getting the codes read, and if it is just a wheel sensor, it will tell you which wheel.

To my knowledge, the brake wear warning light has no intelligence in it - it is literally just a thin piece of wire embedded in a "sensor" stuck into/through the brake pad - when the pad wears down the wire snaps, bringing the light on - if this happens you have to replace the sensor to get the light to go out. There are two on diagonally opposite corners of the car. The only thing I can think of that would cause this to come on and go off is a poor connection where the sensor plugs into the wiring loom.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Well the story continues. Having got the camshaft sensor replaced all things were well BUT then after 2 days problems again and the code this time said it was the crankshaft sensor so having to replace that. Also 2 codes for left/right front wheel speed sensors came up. They are intermitant in action and only occasional with warning lights sometimes on and sometimes off. I suspect the connectors rather than the actual sensors so will have a fiddle with those while I wait for the crankshaft sensor to wend its way to France. Car is in bits at the moment so an opportunity to do those jobs I have been meaning to do for ages whilst waiting.

For those who want to replace the crankshaft sensor on a 2.8 be aware of the following. The screw holding the sensor in place can be VERY tight as is most likely has been on there all its life. You can get to it by getting Under the car. It is easy to strip the Inside of the allen key hole on this screw. However a bit of a wriggle with small molegrips does the job. You will probabally totally destroy the old sensor getting it outbecause it will be quite brittle. I strongly suggest getting a replacement screw at the same time as the new crankshaft sensor. Parts are Sensor-12141703277 Screw-13627545338 M6X16ZNNIV SI. Items 99 & 10 on OEMPARTS.
A bit fiddly getting the pigtail through by the vanos to the plugin connector and some blind plugging in under the manifold is necessary but not impossible. Slacking off the big bolt holding the oïl line to the vanos helps in getting the plug through the gap, you dont need to take it right off. Taking of the cover to the oïl filter also gives you more room when doing the replugging under the manifold.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Mike wrote:Also 2 codes for left/right front wheel speed sensors came up. They are intermitant in action and only occasional with warning lights sometimes on and sometimes off. I suspect the connectors rather than the actual sensors so will have a fiddle with those
Hopefully it is just the sensors, but it is also possible your ABS module is shot - this is a common fault an requires the module to be refurbished. If it is this then I used BBA-REMAN
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal