new bootlid

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

new bootlid

Post by lacedr »

just purchased a new bootlid for my z3, put it on easily enough but cannot get the damn thing to close obviuosly must be down to adjustment but i cant seem to get it right.
any ideas or tips
regards
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: new bootlid

Post by Southernboy »

Have read though the item below, thereafter, it's a matter of small adjustments to the locking mechanism.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

There's 2 aspects.

Panel alignment. Make sure the gap to the surrounding panels is level all round. This alone is enough to cause a problem. It's not just for neat looks.

Fixed part of the catch. This will be the problem if the panel alignment is okay. Loosen the lower fixed part of the catch. Both bolts so they just about grip. Shut the boot and it will self position the lower catch where it wants it. Carefully retighten bolts without moving.

If you get it so it's a gentle slam I think most people would say that's par for the course on a Z3. But you shouldn't have to give it a big slam.

If you've changed/disturbed the key lock link rod make sure it's snapped properly and tightly into its mount. It will come loose and you'll be locked out otherwise.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

Thanks for the replies
have manged to do it so it can shut with a firm push but the bottom of the boot lid is slightly out of alignment, it is not flush with the wing the boot lid is slightly down but i shall worry about that another day.

Dave
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I suspect if you check the gap on the top of the lid at the sides and back it won't have an even gap. The only guidance given by Bentley manual is 5mm for every panel on the car though in fairness that's reasonable.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)