What's this then?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

What's this then?

Post by Koolflyer »

All of a sudden a light rattling sound which grew louder, then a bang and a exhaust hissing sound. This bad boy then found under front right of car underneath the exhaust manifold. It now sound like a banger racer! Interestingly, the flat base is covered in soot, indicating exhaust? I'll check underneath tomorrow, but in the mean time do you recognize it? :rtm:
Tks KF

PS And it's not off my lawnmower! :D

1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: What's this then?

Post by colb »

Could it be item 12 on the diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_6171

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

colb wrote:Could it be item 12 on the diagram
That was a good spot Colb - I wonder why they fitted "blanking plugs" that high up on the exhaust manifold? :shrug
RockyDave

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by RockyDave »

Thinks we better be scouring the drive and the underneath of the car for that "gasket ring" :shock:
Image Image
2002 Z3 2.2i Sport Roadster Titanium Silver
2008 E61 520d Deep Sea Blue
1955 R25/3 motorcycle
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Thanks guys for that, with the sooty bottom it does look like one of the screw plugs from either the front or rear manifold. Hopefully the little gasket might be in position or lying on the driveway.
Cheers :thumb:
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Why would they put blanking plugs in that position you ask, they look same size as a lambda sensor further down the exhaust, were they thinking of putting them in the manifold and found it too hot in that position in the design stage for a sensor to survive so fitted it further down the exhaust using one pre cat sensor instead of two in the manifolds?

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

To be honest, I don't know either. Perhaps it's something to do with the USA exhaust emissions filter that some of our European cars have, which mine doesn't?? :-?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Koolflyer wrote:To be honest, I don't know either. Perhaps it's something to do with the USA exhaust emissions filter that some of our European cars have, which mine doesn't??
That's a good point - some sort of EGR system perhaps?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you look at the uses for the plug, it is used on many different exhaust manifolds and on some models there are alternative parts shown for exhaust temperature and exhaust pressure sensors. These do not seem to have been fitted to any Z3 models (none that I could see anyway), however it may be that BMW routinely casts this feature into all manifolds so that such boffinry can be fitted at a later date should the car be sold in a market that requires it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Looks like lambda sensor blocking plug to me, from the front section. Some had 2 sensors, mine has one. I renewed the system on mine a couple of years ago and there was 2 (one on each pipe from the manifold). I fitted my sensor in one and blanked the other off with a plug similar to that one. The plug in the diagraghm (no 8?) does not have an external hexagon, but a female either square or hex similar to a drain plug.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Right then. This carboned bolt does look it came from one of the exhaust manifolds and ties up with item No12 on the above realoem as suggested by colb, although its not a hex as the diagram indicates. The only way to get to that area is a set of ramps and going up from underneath. These bolts are situated on the inside of the manifold next to the block. After a bit of fumbling around it soon became obvious where it came from, as you can see by the photos. One of the screw plugs had in fact come undone and dropped out fortunately in my driveway.

Oddly enough the other was completely tight, so why was this one lose? You'll see that there should be a gasket with this bolt, which there is on the tight bolt, however no such gasket has been found on the driveway or stuck to the manifold. If the bolt had been replaced for some reason, it would appear that no gasket ring was never refitted :head: so it gradually came undone, strange that the secure and tight bolt which has a gasket is fine. It now has a gasket and is tightened right up as it should be.

Tight bolt and gasket

Look whats missing!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I suspect bmw have them in stock for a few pence but you could probably use a tap washer and some loctite if you cant find the proper part
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Just spoken to Sytner in Nottingham, and they confirmed that there is a gasket which isn't sold separately. You have to buy the screw bolt for £9.36 which then comes with the gasket, which is why the gasket is 'greyed' out in the diagram. Part needs to be ordered from Germany which is the case for a lot of Z3 parts now. As I had the bolt I used an 18mm sump plug washer which tightened up beautifully...job done! Thanks for your input guys.....Pete