coolant

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

coolant

Post by Neutro999 »

Hi All,

Is Castrol Radicool in blue a safe choice for replacing the coolant in my zed?

Thanks in advance
Neutro999
'01 Z3 3.0i with black leathers - a.k.a 'The Rebel'
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: coolant

Post by Del »

There aren’t really any special materials/metals in these Z3 engines that would merit special antifreeze. The coolant you have shown does not appear to be particularly “long life” as it says it is only effective for one-year. I like a bargain myself and I am not a BMW parts-only disciple, but I have been unable to find an aftermarket, longer-life antifreeze which matches the rather unique, inky-looking BMW stuff. As the BMW stuff is not particularly expensive, I took the decision to stick with it. They appear to use the same in BMWs and the Minis today where they treat it (as with most modern cars) as very long life.
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

where do you get the BMW stuff from? just any dealer/stealer parts dept?
'01 Z3 3.0i with black leathers - a.k.a 'The Rebel'
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Yep - BMW antifreeze from my nearest dealer - sold in 1.5 litre bottles and the deionised water from Tesco - cheapest I've found. :D
LMMarks

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by LMMarks »

Evening all,

Firstly, sorry if this is in an inappropriate place... I wasn't too sure where to post.

Also, sorry, bit of a noob post... I am trying to identify my engine coolant temperature sensor having identified it as faulty (I assume this is the sensor attached to the dial on the dashboard). I have the Z3 1.9i 4 cylinder M43B19 engine (facelift model). Whilst there is an excellent tutorial by pelican parts on swapping this part out for the (I believe) pre-facelift model, the sensor is clearly in a completely different place on mine (not behind the bracket as the tutorial says). The front of the cylinder head has various connections into the thermostat/other but I'm unclear which will be what I'm after. Also I'm hesitant about the condition of some of these plastic tubes and electrical connectors and would hate to unnecessarily damage something in the process of this replacement.

If someone could possibly explain where I'm looking, that would be very kind!

Kind regards,

Laurence