My 2.8 roadster

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
RobTFC

M roadster S50

My 2.8 roadster

Post by RobTFC »

Hi,

After reading so much about other peoples cars I've decided now that I've done some of the larger jobs on mine that I would contribute my story. I was introduced to the Z3 when my dad bought a Cosmos Black 2.8 a number of years ago and loved the car ever since. I finally purchased my own 1997 2.8 in Montreal Blue back in 2010 and found this forum to be an amazing source of information, helping me keep my car in (at least what I consider to be!) good shape. Originally I only meant to do a few small jobs, but the list of jobs ended up growing over the years! That said, I think that I'm getting close to a point where I'm happy with the changes and can simply switch to maintaining what I have. Mileage currently just over 90k, does about 2-3k a year and lives in a garage avoiding the rain!

The car seemed to have been mechanically looked after by the previous 3 owners, I even had it put on a ramp prior to purchase, but there were clear bodge jobs in the non-mechanical areas, some things that were clear on purchase (i.e. it had an OEM CD changer, but fitted sideways, cable tied to the chassis!?!?!) and some that weren't (broken aerial base superglued together, badly fitted wind deflector mounts). The seller played a bit dumb but armed with knowledge from the forum I felt I managed to get a decent deal.

If anyone is wanting to do any of the same modifications or repairs to their car and would like any information on my experience PM me any time.

Jobs completed (roughly in chronological order, not including normal servicing/tyres etc.)
- Changed side indicator repeaters to clear lenses, purchased from dealer.
- Changed the casing on the one alarm fob that came with the car.
- Replaced side lights in front bumper as the existing ones were all chipped and damaged around the edges.
- Removed the badly fitted CD changer - bought new boot carpet to replace the hacked up one.
- Replaced one of the bulbs behind the heater controls.
- Fixed up/down control on drivers seat.
- Changed to the M50 manifold and BBTB.
- Replaced original E36 style steering wheel (the skinny style one with chrome emblem) with the better M style steering wheel (managed to get a reasonable deal on this new from BMW).
- Replaced the CAT as it had fallen to bits (bought an aftermarket one that sounded like complete tinny arse so had to get rid and buy an OEM unit).
- Replaced gear knob.
- Added Z8 chrome washer jets (have not put in the loom for the heated elements yet though!)
- Had a body shop remove any small parking dents/scrapes and blow over all the panels.
- Replaced wing mirrors with rotten bases with M style wing mirrors.
- New chrome trim for exhaust tips as existing tips were knackered.
- Had aerial base and rubber replaced, also changed to a small stubby aerial.
- Had the wheels refurbished (sand blast/powder coated) and replaced all centre caps.
- Replaced viscous fan as that failed (again, bought a pattern part and replaced with the OEM part only 2 months after as it did not disengage properly!)
- New copper brake pipes (due to MOT failure)
- Fitted roll hoops and associated trim (incl. swapping locks on the storage box, removing existing wind deflector mounts).
- Bought roll hoop wind deflector and rear mounting bolts (the deflector came with the front hooks).
- New Bosch wiper blades
- Replaced normal seats with blue/black sports seats (was fortunate enough to obtain seats from Emek on the same side of the facelift as mine).
- Replaced seatbelt guide on the new passenger seat as it was broken (leather off job).
- Bought new front wings, rear wings and sill cover panels from BMW due to rust incursion on the body panels. Fortunately chassis was sound, so had it treated, and new panels waxoyled/painted/bolted on.
- Purchased another alarm fob, bought a new casing for it and programmed it up. Another main key is on order from the dealer to go with it (as the car only came with one "main" key and one backup key).
- Changed door cards to match the blue of the seats (kept my old black ones just in case I didn't like it and would rather dye the seats black)
- Re sealed around plastic rear window where fabric had come away a bit and used Greygate plastic polish on the window itself (photos were taken before this work was done).

I think that's it!

The jobs remaining are;
- Fit heated seat switches (as new seats are heated, old weren't) - I have the switches and relay ready to go but need to find loom. I'd love to do that job another member did and move the alarm LED to the rear as well.
- Underside cleaned and treated with Dinitrol.
- New roof within a year or so as it has come away from the frame a bit on the passenger side and I'm not sure it's repairable, still watertight though.
- Maybe some minor performance mods (exhaust, air filter etc.) then remap.
- Possibly look at refurbing or replacing bonnet within 2-3 years.
- Replace the third brake light as it has a mark on it, within a year maybe.
- Have the wheels refurbed again next year.

And of course, a few pics;

cheers
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: My 2.8 roadster

Post by Fender2004 »

Sounds like you've been very busy

Car looks great keep up the good work
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: My 2.8 roadster

Post by Del »

I can guess that some of those jobs were not cheap - the bodywork looks great. :)