Duplicate key

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Duplicate key

Post by Gareth 161 »

Just in the process of buying another Z3 as have decided the Z4 is not for me as just doesn't feel right with the electric steering and also the ride is both harsh and low.
The one I have bought is a 2000 model 3.0 and does need a little tidying. My first priority is to get a spare key as only comes with one and this one does not have a battery fob to do the central locking like my old 2.8.
Firstly, I presume this car should have central locking and secondly, where can I get a key fob with the battery & bits to operate the C/L.
Would it be a BMW main dealer(at presumably some horrific price) or is there a cheaper option.
Thanks
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Duplicate key

Post by Robert T »

Congrats on the purchase. 3.0 will be a nice motor.

The 3.0 will have the later key with the alarm remote built into it. So you should have alarm and central locking (assuming it is a UK spec car).

The cheapest way to get a spare key is to buy a grey service key from BMW for about £60 IIRC. This will unlock and start the car, but will not remote unlock the car or set the alarm. If the car has been locked with the remote on the other key and the alarm is set, it will sound when you unlock the car with the key, but can be silenced by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to position II. If you desperately want a remote as well, then if you can find a similar BMW key with the correct frequency remote, you might be able to teach the car to recognise that remote and potentially swap the blade and immobiliser chip from the grey service key to the remote key. Other than that, a full remote key from BMW will be over £100.

It is worth persisting the the seller and any previous owners you can track down to see if they can find any spare keys, as originally the car would be supplied with no less than FOUR keys. 2 remote keys, 1 valet key and 1 plastic wallet key. It always amazes me that people will buy a car with only one key, as any of those missing keys could be used to steal their new P&J.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks for the quick reply & info.
This key looks like a service key so possibly will have to visit BMW to get a remote key.
Yes the 3.0 engine is good and that was about the only thing I liked about my Z4 apart from the roof.
It had a lot of creature comforts but at the end of the day, to me this sort of car is about the driving feel and the Z4 just did not do it for me despite all the extras.
Therefore hoping once I get the new Z3 all sorted, with the 3.0 as opposed to my old 2.8, things should be good. Also the 3.0 has a lot more extras than the 97 2.8 but regretfully not the widebody. Cant have it all I suppose!
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

You could always buy some secondhand wide body rear wings eBay and get them sprayed up if you can find any in your colour. Have best of both worlds then :)
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ontiken »

Your new Z3 has got a 'wide body' because the rear was restyled so that they didn't need to produce different bodies for the different engine/wheel sizes.
I think the 'facelift' body rear is much better.More rounded and reminiscent of sixties sports cars like the AC Cobra. Just flaring the rear wings of the original body was a bit 'boy racerish' I always thought.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks and I agree that the rear does look ok on the newer z3's and no doubt I will grow to love it as much as the old one.
My main priority is to get a key as feel very vulnerable in a funny sort of way only having the one.
Will then start checking through the mechanicals and touch up the body in places.
Does the 3.0 engine in the z3 have the same Disa issue as the 3.0 in the z4 as that might be another first job to check out
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Gareth 161 wrote:Does the 3.0 engine in the z3 have the same Disa issue as the 3.0 in the z4 as that might be another first job to check out
As far as I am aware both the M52 and M54 engines had a similar DISA valve arrangement - I am not aware of any DISA problem that was unique to the Z4
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks Del, I will check it out fairly soon as don't want the pin to drop in!!
Managed to change one on the z4 with an eBay kit so should be ok