.net Z3 /Z4 "HELP CENTERS" ??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

.net Z3 /Z4 "HELP CENTERS" ??

Post by Southernboy »

It occurred to me that a list of members who have mechanical or electrical skills/ tools/ facilities and abilities who are willing and able to assist other members who are not mechanically skilled should be made giving their general locality, and their level of expertise. In this way, those members who are not as adept could refer to the list and possibly set up meetings with those persons close by they could call on for assistance. What is the opinion on this suggestion?? :roll:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: .net Z3 /Z4 "HELP CENTERS" ??

Post by Koolflyer »

Good idea Barry, although so much 'Gen' can be gleaned from our own forum, as you say there must be a lot of folks who wouldn't even contemplate some jobs or have the right tools etc. Having a person nearby who could help or just give verbal advice might give someone that bit of confidence to tackle the job themselves.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I was thinking along the lines of someone who would be prepared to actually do the "work" and the owner acting as "assistant"... and actually learning a little at the same time... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I like the idea... I can't do a lot but happy to be a point of contact for Manchester
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

'Can't do a lot'? Have you read your own posts? I followed with envy your leathering-up-the-dash thread...
I like the idea of helping out (goes with the idea of being a forum member, I suppose), but I doubt many members are on my side of the Channel. Still, I'm not as far south as some others, am I, Barry?

Boosh.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hahaha.... yes, it's easy for me sitting here to make work for others.... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Axelf

blank

Post by Axelf »

I think it's a great idea... I can help out... Already changing suspension for a local guy to me...
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

good idea count me in
peter2b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

So, what's required is each person to list himself, his area(s) of experience and locality. Also what tools and facilities are available including code readers / resetting devices etc etc..
Perhaps someone on the forum who is good at designing forms will create the template which those interested can then log their info onto ???
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Barry, we already have a map showing people with diagnostic kit here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36055

My concern with offering help to fix problems is the amount of people's time this will take up, and the responsibility of working on someone else's car. Diagnostics is normally a pretty quick thing to do and normally finds the problem which the owner then goes off and fixes themselves. If someone wants to offer assistance in doing certain jobs, then that is fine, but I'm not sure they will take too kindly to random strangers wanting to get their car fixed on the cheap. I don't want to pour cold water on this, but people do need to understand what they might be getting themselves into.

I do know some people in the States have run fix-it days where a small number of cars come along to someone with a decent set of tools and they sort out some common problems between them. We might be able to organise something like this, if someone has somewhere where we can work on the cars. With a few knowledgeable people on hand, it would be possible to tackle some tasks that are daunting to one person, or that need special tools - seat bushes, viscous couplings etc. We can also have full diagnostics kit on hand as well.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good thinking Robert... That'll work too. Perhaps the way to go will be to organise "Fix it Days" as is done with the "cruises and meets" on the forum... different towns on certain days of the month, so people have time / fore-warning to arrange with each other to meet up centrally at designated venues and tackle their maintenance problems.
Reading some of the posts, some members aren't "minded" to replace light bulbs behind the aircon / heater controls in spite of there being many posts on the subject... it might be helpful if these people can arrange actual help through arranging "fix it days". It will also allow members to get to know each other etc etc.. Just diagnosing an issue like seat bush wear is beyond them, and it would be useful to have someone to direct / oversee / explain and check for them.
Anyhow, I do like the idea of "fix it days" - maybe even once a month in several locations across the country ?? Those persons with facilities/ tools and abilities and willing to make time for a half dozen other members can "register" as meet points, and advise atendees in advance what they need to bring along with them to complete their respective tasks.... Beer, pies, tools, parts etc etc... Maybe an "in or out " vote should be held... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Good idea Barry, when can I drop my car off. I've got a comprehensive list of repairs :D
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Are you coming up to Jhb Hilton ?? I have a lock up garage with all the tools to do a complete rebuild of your car... Make sure you bring crates of beer... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

the other club I'm in (RhoCar) when I was down south we use to got to some ones home to help them get things done from help wiring to assemblein gear boxes and engines, up to 6 people going with tea coffee and yum yums/hobnuts
peter2b
Ps I have a twin arm car lift that can be used