CD/Radio problems

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

CD/Radio problems

Post by Gareth 161 »

Have just bought a 3.0 2000 z3 and am working through the mechanical issues.
However am a bit confused when it comes to electrical type things!
There is a Clarion cd/radio but the cd bit does not work as will not accept discs.
In the boot there is the hump for a cd changer but no changer and also the black wire with the connector.
There are also (presumably aftermarket) 3 blue wires coming from the front of car and a pos and neg from battery.
The blue wires do not seem to be attached to the multi plugs in the dash so not sure where they go
Has anyone please got any ideas what I can fit as regards cd changers or amps?
Presumably I can as the simplest option,just fit a new cd/radio into the multi plug and ignore the boot but I don't like mysteries!
Apart from this car seems very good will be doing a refurbish on the wheels shortly
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: CD/Radio problems

Post by bertiejaffa »

Under the hump there is usually also a factory fitted amp. There should also be the original multi prong connector for the cd changer but it will be useless considering the aftermarket Headunit.

My advise is buy a new head unit that plays BT AUDIO and put your music on your phone (or iPod). The other option would be to buy a cd changer to match the Headunit or a complete new set up with HU and changer combined
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Many cars have the hump, but no CD changer or Amplifier. The boot amp was only fitted with the higher spec speaker systems - I'd have to check if this includes the HiFi option, but it certainly is needed for the Harmon Kardon system with the subwoofer between the seats. The standard system has no amp in the boot, even if there were a multichanger fitted. If you have the hump, then you will have what is known as CD multichanger preparation, which means you have all the wiring run through to the boot, but this is only useful for a BMW headunit and BMW changer.

As to headunits, I prefer a simple USB stick to an iPod or phone, as you don't need to worry about leaving it in the car and it getting nicked. Mine had a USB socket on the rear, which I ran to the ashtray and I keep the USB stick in there, rather than having it stuck in the front of the head unit.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks for the info and I think that now looking at the vin details,mine shows only prepared for cd changer and having a business rds radio.Not sure what no 877 deletion crossover operation is but I think you are right in that just getting a new head unit is the best option.
Possibly a previous owner put some amp or something in the boot and powered it from the battery.presumably the 3 wires running to the front were speaker wires ? as speaker type connectors on 2 of them
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten