M gauges retrofitting

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

M gauges retrofitting

Post by zz3po »

Hi!
Did some work on my new M centre console, got it with leather Z oil distribution.
Figured how to make everything work out.
Last issiue is... the oil filter housing have only one output where the original oil pressure sender sits.
I have to locate the oil distributer just in that place because as i said i have only 1 output from the oil filter housing.
That leave me with the old sender connected to no where.
Any way to figure that out?
Some pictures add
Thanks all...
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: M gauges retrofitting

Post by bowei001 »

When I fitted an oil temperature gauge I originally used a distribution block similar to the one you are using but I found that although it was OK for the oil pressure, the temperature sender was in a "backwater" and really didn't give an accurate oil temperature and took a long time to warm up. If you search "Oil temperature retrofit" you can see what I did; If you remove a threaded plug from the oil filter housing and drill & tap it to take the temperature sender, you can then use your distribution block, connected to the oil filter housing by a banjo bolt, for the oil pressure sender and the old pressure switch. This set-up puts the new temperature sender in the same oil flow as the temperature sender that feeds the ECU and so gives an accurate reading with a quick warm up. I'm assuming that your engine is a 6 cylinder as I don't know what the thermostat housing is like on 4 cylinder engines. I hope that this helps but you cam PM me if you need any more information.
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Thanks!
Another thing i was thinking about is cut the old sensors connector, then connect the exposed wire to the other edge of the new oil pressure sender(the new one have 2 edges... as i understand one sends to the gauge and another edge can be wired to warning light).
Then, if im not wrong, wiring the old sensor to the edge of the warning light of the new sender should make the light of low/higjt oil pressure on the cluster work then needed... any thoughts? Need your help here :)
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

That should work but before cutting the old pressure switch connector off, I'd run a wire from the connector (push a thin wire into the spade terminal in the connector) to the 2nd terminal on the pressure sender and check that the warning light on the dash comes on when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running and goes out when the engine is running (I don't like cutting wires until I'm certain that things work). I'm fairly sure that the connector only has one spade terminal because the earth is through the body of the switch. In that case you will need to make sure that the pressure sender is well earthed, don't seal the sender thread to the adapter block with teflon tape or anything like that. Also, check that the pressure switch wire is long enough if you cut the connector off as it isn't a very long wire. You will still have the problem of slow/low reading of the oil temperature with the sender in the new adapter block. Make sure that the temperature and pressure senders are matched to the VDO gauges as VDO gauges are very fussy about the senders that they are attached to if they are to give accurate readings.
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Ok...
Sounds good!
This block and senders are leather Z... thet were connected in the past to the seller's z and as he said all worked great. Lets hope so. Think ill try the last option we discussed here... ill keep update!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... or you can get one of these as I did and fit the Temp sensor into one of the NPT ports on top........ And it's solid aluminium too...
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 33184.html
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Ok that cap looks good!
Southernboy... my zed is 4 cyl 1.8... as i see this cap is for 6 cyl... do u think it will fit my zed? Any difference between 4 to 6 cyl caps? Thanks!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'm not sure of the differences...Perhaps do a part number check on realOEM ??
Possibly ask Andy / Spurs fan in a coupe... he would know for sure.
This is the part number for my car..... 11421744000 (6 Cyl)
"Normal is overrated"

zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Realoem says 4 cyl have different cap :/
Cant find one for 4 cyl
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

What's the 4cyl part number - I'll take a look around on the web to see if I find anything similar for your car.
"Normal is overrated"

zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Thats 4 cyl cap item number...
Hope u can help out here. Thanks!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks - I'll have a search...
Any chance you can post a pic of the cap too ? You can just take a close-up of it fitted in the car.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

U r willing to help me... how can i say no :)
Hope this one is enogh...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Right, the next task you have to do is to remove the cap and measure the diameter of the threaded section. You can measure inner part of thread to inner part of thread on the opposite side, or total diameter width... I guess that will require you to drain the oil though... My reason for suggesting this is because I believe the actual screw in section is exactly the same as the larger 6 cyl model oil filter caps. If that is the case, then you can go ahead and get one of those aluminium jobs I gave you the link for. Once you have measured your cap diameter, you can ask Andy - Spurs fan to cross check the size of a cap of a 6 cyl model if he has one handy.
You can also simply measure the diameter of the aluminium filter container below the cap too, and then compare that with the 6 cyl model measurement.
If they are the same, then you should be good to go. If not, you might need to consider getting another cap just like your current one, and look at the possibility of drilling, and tapping a thread in the plastic, into which you can then directly screw the temperature sensor. It may require a nut with a sealing rubber washer (like a tap washer) on the inner side to give the temp sensor more to screw into. Once screwed in and sealed tightly, it needn't be moved again... and perhaps that would be your cheapest and most practical solution... think about it... You can do some research on various heat and oil resistant epoxies to use when fitting the sensor through the top of the cap....
As I suggest, use a "spare " cap to make the modification on, so you don't lose the use of your car in the meanwhile...
"Normal is overrated"

zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Ur the best :)
Ill do some reaserch and come back here with some answers!