z3 roll hoops

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

z3 roll hoops

Post by jony9 »

Hi all.

Right before I buy the roll hoops set up. I need to know if it will fit my z3. I have a 1.9 z3 1998 without roll hoops. I have already agreed to buy the roll hoop set up off a 2002 z3. But before I give him the cash I would like to know for sure that they will fit. Dose anyone know how I can find out if they will fit...

Ps so sorry if this topic had already been done.

I'll attach a picture of what I am buying.

Kind regards jon
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: z3 roll hoops

Post by bertiejaffa »

I don't think so - you need all the rear trim, not just the roll hoops and the rear console changed from preface lift (yours) to facelift (the donor) in April 1999
Last edited by bertiejaffa on Fri 17 Jun, 2016 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The very early cars had no mounting points. But I would think yours is not one of them.

I believe you will need the lateral trim and cubby box as they are a different size on roll hoop cars.

Not 100% sure if there is any difference between facelift and pre-facelift cars. I'd be surprised if there was but happy to be corrected.

I've recently put the whole assembly into a car but it previously had the assembly and was stripped out.

Make sure your setup comes with all bolts and fixings.

You will do a bit of head-scratching initially as to what goes where in what order but once you're over that it's easy enough if time consuming. It took me about 4 hours.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

I am buying everything that goes behind the seats.

Why is it not letting me stick a picture up
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142003293142

I am buying this.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

jony9 wrote:Why is it not letting me stick a picture up
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7658
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Everything you wanted to know (and a lot that you probably didn't) is in the knowledgebase here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=3439

And to answer the questions above: Yes, the pre-facelift and post-facelift storage box trim is different, but the roll hoop mountings are the same. To change pre-facelift to facelift you will basically need everything, including the lateral trim panels, as the turrets mount onto these and they are different.

To my knowledge all Z3 roadsters except for the very early ones (before 01/97) have the chassis pre-drilled and tapped to take the inboard mounting brackets.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

That's good. That's everything you should need. Note it's not a complete set of screws by the looks of it. I spoke with the seller at one stage when he only had the roll hoops up and suggested he might want to list the complete assembly. I think he told me it wasn't a complete set of screws then and that put me off (sorry). So I ended up buying from Spurs Fan instead.The important screws are the ones which hold the roll loop bracket and roll loops themselves in place. The rest you may be able to re-use from existing trim or you could improvise with screws from B&Q if not present. Note you will need a Torx bit for the roll loop bolts.

The price is fine. Certainly the going rate and arguably a little cheaper.

Start off with the roll loop bracket. Then in order lateral trim panels, cubby box, outside roll loop base trim, inside roll loop base trim. The roll loops themselves secure with set screws. That is to say the bolts are tightened to a compression fit on solid metal not into a thread - found that a bit strange actually. Don't forget to re-route the seat belt cable.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

One more don't forget. To plug the speaker cables in the lateral trim panel back in before further assembly.

The article link posted has torque settings for the roll loop brackets. Wish I'd seen that before I did mine as I just tightened up by feel.

My seats were out anyway. I would think it's a lot easier if not a necessity to have them out to do this.
ImageImage
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

mrscalex wrote:That's good. That's everything you should need. Note it's not a complete set of screws by the looks of it. I spoke with the seller at one stage when he only had the roll hoops up and suggested he might want to list the complete assembly. I think he told me it wasn't a complete set of screws then and that put me off (sorry). So I ended up buying from Spurs Fan instead.The important screws are the ones which hold the roll loop bracket and roll loops themselves in place. The rest you may be able to re-use from existing trim or you could improvise with screws from B&Q if not present. Note you will need a Torx bit for the roll loop bolts.

The price is fine. Certainly the going rate and arguably a little cheaper.

Start off with the roll loop bracket. Then in order lateral trim panels, cubby box, outside roll loop base trim, inside roll loop base trim. The roll loops themselves secure with set screws. That is to say the bolts are tightened to a compression fit on solid metal not into a thread - found that a bit strange actually. Don't forget to re-route the seat belt cable.

Hi mate. What do you mean it's not a complete set of screws ? I am lost
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

mrscalex wrote:My seats were out anyway. I would think it's a lot easier if not a necessity to have them out to do this.
No need to remove the seats. Just put the roof down. :wink:

Torx headed screws weren't that expensive from BMW if you don't have them all - they should still be available. I wouldn't skimp on these as they are important to the strength of the hoop system. A full listing of what you need is in the knowledgebase article.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

jony9 wrote:Hi mate. What do you mean it's not a complete set of screws ? I am lost
From auction listing:

This is for all items shown (roll bars, central cubby, side trims with speakers, and metal brackets - oh and some fixing screws).

I also messaged him a couple of weeks ago and didn't go ahead with buying because a) he was too far away and b) not all the screws were there.

I would be surprised if the lot didn't include the main bracket torx bolts and those are the most important fixings. I would imagine it's the screws/u-clips for the plastics which might not all be there. As I said, not the end of the world as you should be able to get from your existing trim and/or buy from B&Q.
ImageImage
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

I am having it for £255.

Thanx for helping me out. So I need to get more screws from bmw?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

jony9 wrote:I am having it for £255.

Thanx for helping me out. So I need to get more screws from bmw?
Can't answer that as we don't know what screws you are getting with it.
ImageImage
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

Shall I ask him to send me a picture of all the screws that come with it?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

jony9 wrote:Shall I ask him to send me a picture of all the screws that come with it?
I would. Up to you!

If you're not already committed you are much better off paying a few quid more from Spurs Fan unless the other guy is much nearer to you for collection. Andy will give you a full set of screws.
ImageImage
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

He's 3 and a half hours away from me I am in cardiff south wales. I wouldn't say I was a 100% committed.

So would you say there are other people on this site that are selling some?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Andy is in Woking so is nearer for you. He's 2.5 hours from you and I don't think that's excessive for a set of parts like this. They really wouldn't travel well if you had them posted either. Fragile plastic and the roll loops are very heavy. Not a good mixture.

Not aware of any others up for sale. You're always likely to have a trek for spares in South Wales.

I spend half my time in Swansea and half in Swindon. There seems to be plenty of Z3s cone up for sale in South Wales. But spares I'm glad I can launch from Swindon.

There is a BMW breaker in Bridgend. He had a Z3 in recently.
ImageImage
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

Ok brilliant well ill wait for Andy to get back to me.

Thanx for helping me out. Much appreciated
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

paisley freight move 4 alloys for£30... this lot should be cheaper and from Andy theyll be perfect
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Thanks for the kind comments guys
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".