dashboard leathe is coming away at the back

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

dashboard leathe is coming away at the back

Post by handsomejackuk »

Hi to all,

Just bought a Z3 and didnt really notice but the leather behind the instrument cluster is coming away from the binnacle and also the leather just behind looks as though it has popped out, i did try and put it back in but it wont go back in.. is it easy enough to just remove the binnacle and reglue or stretch the leather back in place. ?

i need at some stage to remove the steering wheel to get it refurbed or replaced, i assume i need to disconnect the battery so that the air bag light wont activate...

please advise

thanks Al.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: dashboard leathe is coming away at the back

Post by ('_')Z3 »

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... t=zedcarer

The leather does tend to dry out over time and peel away as you have described. The link above should tell you everything you need to know, it's a reasonably big job that a lot of people have done more regularly for various reasons. Zedcarer was one of the first to remove the dash to enable the re-sticking of the leather. The steering wheel is described too but as you've said disconnect the battery to avoid the airbag light and the possibility of it discharging in your face as you remove it!!
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

so just to confirm then the whole dash had got to come out to sort this..... ?

sounds like a big job i thought maybe just the binnacle could be reomoved. Grrrrr
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Yep the dash needs to come out to get the binnacle off.

It is a big job to be honest, I've got black or beige dashs for sale if you are interested.

I'm in Woking, Surrey
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

The only way to remove the part you're talking about is to remove the dash. It's attached by melted plastic lugs only accessible when you've removed it.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Bertijaffa aka Lee - is a serious "pro" when it comes to the leather dash trim... He's re-covered a couple of Z3's with new leather including his Z3 M... and he knows all the tricks regarding removing and replacing the binnacle.. perhaps send him a PM if you want some tips on restoration.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

('_')Z3 wrote:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... t=zedcarer

The leather does tend to dry out over time and peel away as you have described. The link above should tell you everything you need to know, it's a reasonably big job that a lot of people have done more regularly for various reasons. Zedcarer was one of the first to remove the dash to enable the re-sticking of the leather. The steering wheel is described too but as you've said disconnect the battery to avoid the airbag light and the possibility of it discharging in your face as you remove it!!
I seem to remember that there was a subsequent post to this somewhere which described how he then re-stretched the leather to fix it back down again but I can't find it for the life of me :head: Anyone know where it is?

Southernboy wrote:Bertijaffa aka Lee - is a serious "pro" when it comes to the leather dash trim... He's re-covered a couple of Z3's with new leather including his Z3 M... and he knows all the tricks regarding removing and replacing the binnacle.. perhaps send him a PM if you want some tips on restoration.
:lol: :lol: You will always be the master my friend - I learnt all I know (and lots I don't) from you
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

bertiejaffa wrote:I seem to remember that there was a subsequent post to this somewhere which described how he then re-stretched the leather to fix it back down again but I can't find it for the life of me :head: Anyone know where it is?
Here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 6&p=245231

All I did is use advanced search, enter "leather" as the search term and "Zed Carer" as the author - second or third post down lead me to it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Robert T wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:I seem to remember that there was a subsequent post to this somewhere which described how he then re-stretched the leather to fix it back down again but I can't find it for the life of me :head: Anyone know where it is?
Here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 6&p=245231

All I did is use advanced search, enter "leather" as the search term and "Zed Carer" as the author - second or third post down lead me to it.

Cheers R.
Cheers Robert - you're a star. Good tip for the searching, usually if it is something specific I take a step back and use google with specific terms
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

thanks for the replies on this its all a bit new to me this Z3 and i have a few small things that need doing i am in no rush so may put off some until the winter
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Here is a link to another write up on fixing the leather.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... sh-Repairs