Perspex windscreen

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Perspex windscreen

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
I've decided that while a windscreen is definitely needed for top-down driving, the OE ''ladies' tights'' one that fits over the roll bars is not the most aesthetically pleasing, so I'd like to have a go at making my own perspex one. I've had a look around, but can't seem to find a recommended thickness of perspex to use. Could anybody with one help me out?
Thanks,

Boosh.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Perspex windscreen

Post by g8jka »

When we made mine I'm pretty sure it was 6mm thick. I also used tinted perspex for a change.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

I wouldn't go any less than 5mm. I also made mine from smoked acrylic like g8jka
QueenAnne

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by QueenAnne »

Windblox has a winner windscreen. Otherwise, there's a pretty good directory of Z3 windscreens over at windscreen review - take a look over there.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks for the all the advice. I'll look into it when I get the chance.

Boosh.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I actually think that the perspex screens look worse than the OE mesh ones
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

They do seem to be more effective than the OEM ones though and you don't lose the ability to see through the rear view mirror when fitted. Although you do lose the option of opening the top cubby box. Also they are the only option you have if you have schnitzer or aftermarket hoops fitted.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, my hoops are OE but I think the mesh screen hides them. And the fact that it darkens the interior when the roof is up. As for the cubby box, I think a wide notch in the bottom edge should allow for the lid to be lifted up, without causing too much turbulence.

Boosh.
Axelf

blank

Post by Axelf »

I have the clear Perspex one fitted and I think it looks better than the mesh, each to there own I suppose and you can see through the mirror no problem
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I too think the clear ones look better than the gimp-mask type :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I think the perspex looks tacky!

"I've bought a convertible but don't want the wind to ruffle my hair so l've stuffed a piece of transparent plastic behind the seats in the hope that nobody will notice....."

A bit like certain Mercedes with the stupid little plastic aerofoil that pops up at the top of the screen when the hood is down....lest the wind should blow on the driver's head, mustn't have that, it wouldn't do at all.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

gookah wrote:I too think the clear ones look better than the gimp-mask type :D
Agree with that! The mesh type hides the hoops and looks a bit Heath Robinson!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I carried out some side by side tests a number of years ago and can confirm IMHO:

- the OEM mesh type is the most effective
- the Perspex ones look better. They are only marginally worse than the mesh type.
- anyone who drives without one is stupid :lol: They just make the drive more pleasurable but the car does look best with none fitted.

As stated above if you have the AC Schnitzer hoop the OEM won't fit.

Ps I worked with a a guy that retailed a Perspex solution and tested several prototypes, that design is important to the function and finding a good way of securing in place and maintaining cosmetics needs consideration ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster