How to fit a new aerial

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

How to fit a new aerial

Post by saturdaygig »

One day this week my aerial went awol. Maybe someone broke it off, but whatever, it needs replacing. The bit showing through the hole in the wing is just this
so there's no base left to screw another aerial into.
Inside the boot I see this:
I'm not quite sure what I looking at there, is that some sort of booster? What do I need to buy to get working again - not necessarily hung up on matching what was there before.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: How to fit a new aerial

Post by mrscalex »

In short disconnect the wires. Undo the mounting bolts. Pull it downwards. Spend £10 on a new grommet from a main dealer and put it back again.

There are various threads on the forum including a very recent one covering the procedure in more detail.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Did you mean the mast went AWOL? Or did you mean you removed the mast and it was just the grommet that went south/AWOL?

If you've lost the mast budget £10-£15 for a 2nd hand one on ebay. Don't buy a non-OEM part as the reception can be poor and they are cheap enough. The same part is shared with the early Minis so there are usually plenty on ebay.

You should also find if your boot has been leaking this is probably the source of the problem. If it hasn't been leaking you've probably been luck as it looks quire 'orrible!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

is the thread still there ?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

The aerial mast is missing presumed stolen. There isn't a thread left to screw another one into though, so I don't think replacing the grommit will be enough. I'll look for the other thread that mrscalex referred to.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

saturdaygig wrote:The aerial mast is missing presumed stolen. There isn't a thread left to screw another one into though, so I don't think replacing the grommit will be enough. I'll look for the other thread that mrscalex referred to.
sounds like theyve broke it completely - maybe send a PM to spursfan who should be able to source you a replacement easily.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal