Airbag light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
LMMarks

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Airbag light

Post by LMMarks »

Hi there,

I took my passenger seat out yesterday to carry something rather large (its my only car), which unsurprisingly caused the airbag light to come up on the dash. Having now reinserted the seat, putting the electronic connector back together, the airbag light is annoyingly still there. I'm 99% sure I put the connector in properly when doing it so I just wanted to ask if anyone could clarify if the system needs to be manually reset instead of the light just turning off when it sees the connections it wants? I was careful not to break any of the wires in the process, nor the connector.

If not, and it should be expected to turn off, I'll take the seat out again and re-check.

If so, then this was a silly idea and I should have found another way to carry my large items... In this case, what do I need in order to reset the light, which I presume could cause me an MOT failure?

Kind regards,

Laurence

02 BMW Z3, 1.9i
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Airbag light

Post by Robert T »

This is a very common problem and as such there are countless threads on here on the subject, so I'll just give a quick summary here.

Once the airbag light comes on, it latches on, and the only way to clear it is to clear the error memory, either with an airbag light reset tool or with diagnostic software like INPA - unlike the service lights it cannot be reset by shorting pins together. Whilst the light is illuminated the airbag(s) and the seat-belt pre-tensioners are both disabled and will not work in the event of a crash. In the UK having the airbag light illuminated is an MOT failure, so you will need to get this attended to.

There may well be someone with an appropriate tool near you. See http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 37#p335037

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
LMMarks

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by LMMarks »

Thankyou, thats extremly helpful. Sorry that you've had to repeat information already available to me.

Laurence
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Worth investing in one of these to sort your airbag light out
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbag-Reset- ... SwVL1V~o6x
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V