Gearbox Problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Gearbox Problem

Post by Captain »

Went for a drive yesterday, finding it difficult to select 3rd gear, once the car warmed up it seemed to be fine. Any ideas what could be causing this problem, I've read about pins that get worn and need replacing. It's a 1998 2.8 with 65000 miles.
TIA
ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Gearbox Problem

Post by colb »

Have you changed the gearbox oil? Despite BMW saying filled for life a change is always worth doing it usually transforms gear changing.

Be aware some gearboxes use ATF others oil, label on gearbox indicates which if its still attached.

Someone will nbe along regarding the worn pins question.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

colb wrote:Have you changed the gearbox oil? Despite BMW saying filled for life a change is always worth doing it usually transforms gear changing.

Be aware some gearboxes use ATF others oil, label on gearbox indicates which if its still attached.

Someone will nbe along regarding the worn pins question.
Thanks for the response colb, I changed the gearbox oil 7 years ago when I first got the car, maybe it needs changing again.
ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Don't know what mileage you have covered in seven years but its somewhat overdue some fresh lube in it, you will be amazed at how it feels after a change.

I change mine every 2 years and mine is very low mileage summer use only.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Hi

First thing when you start the car up, is it difficult to get into gear e.g. needs a little bit of force to select that first gear? If so try this test.
- start the car
- try to select a gear
- If its stiff don't force it, hold the pressure on the shifter and turn the car off.
- If it just drops into gear when the engine stops turning, then its the clutch
- If it remains stiff, then its the gear box.

This helped me to diagnose an old rubber flexible slave cylinder line fault. The rubber hose was ballooning and storing fluid volume when the clutch peddle was pushed, resulting in a clutch that was not fully disengaging. Fitted a UUC stainless steel braided slave line and problem disappeared and got smooth gear changes.

Hope this helps

Regards

Muzz