Newbie with questions, thanks all!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Newbie with questions, thanks all!!!

Post by swabyk »

Hi All,
Newbie here!

My love affair with Z3’s started in 1999 when I ordered a brand new V-Reg 1.9 in topaz blue and beige leather for myself at the age of 24. Sold it 3-4 years later and knew I’d buy one again one day! That day came at the weekend when I bought the one in the image below. This is a weekend car only for using in the summer. It’s quite good condition with 75k miles but there’s lots of jobs need doing which is perfect as I wanted a little project.

I have a couple of questions if you don’t mind, anyone that can help? Much appreciated!

Amongst the many jobs to do are the door speaker grilles that are messy, they need re-painting, has anyone done this and if so, what paint have you used? Alternatively, can you buy new replacements anywhere other than from a scrapped car?

Secondly, has anyone upgraded their speakers in the car without putting in amps etc, all I want to do is put in a new head-unit and replace the speakers in the original positions but just wondered if anyone had knowledge of what speakers would fit?

Thirdly, i want to get the steering wheel back to black as its a little faded in areas, reading on t’internet ive read that you can use black shoe polish, let it soak in and then polish it up. Anyone tried this or have any other ways of getting it back to black?

Lastly, does anyone know if the wheels on mine are original BMW alloys or after-market etc? A little research with the build sheet has told me that it was shipped with the following wheels; “288 Lt/aly Wheels Leichtmetallraeder”, a bit more research and ‘i think’ these wheels are “BMW cross spoke 29”, can anyone confirm?

Thanks again if anyone can help me out, will probably have lots of questions over coming months and have already spent hours reading through post history gaining lots of knowledge, cheers! 

Ken Swaby
username; swabyk
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Newbie with questions, thanks all!!!

Post by Antm72 »

Hi ken
The speaker grills would have to be removed to paint or you would have issues.
I would just use a satin black aerosol can in light coats.
I imagine that the grills are possible availible from Bmw
Part no 51418397539 left grill
Part no 51418397540 right grill
looking at the pictures the grill should be removable from the front with out taking the door card off.
Speakers are i believe 6.5" to the front and year depending 3 or 4" to the rear both may take a little fettling but should fit.
I would use a dye kit on the steering wheel.Liquid leather do one a far better choice than shoe polish. Budget depending a full retrim from Royal Steering wheels is great you can choose colours leather padding etc but carries a price of £125 but worth every penny.
Wheel guide here not sure on your originals but current are style 78
http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
Hope this helps
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

For the speaker grilles I used a black felt tip permanent marker pen........ Simples!.... And quick!
Last edited by Bonzo on Tue 19 Jul, 2016 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My grills were also terrible. Unfortunately, you do need to remove the door cards – there is a screw at the back holding the grill. They have to be carefully unpicked from the frame involving small tabs of grill material to be "un-bent". Personally, I rubbed down, used etch primer and semi-gloss black. I renewed the felt behind them with the black weed suppressant used in gardens under pebbles etc. All a bit fiddly but worth the work. Whilst inside the door, I would also lubricate the window mechanisms which are renowned for getting dry and slowing.

With regard to speakers - unless you want to do some cutting in your internal trim, it is easy enough to buy upgraded speakers of the same size as I did for my foot wells. Personally, I believe the Z3 is hopeless in terms of an audio acoustic experience so no point is spending loads of money :D
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Del wrote:Whilst inside the door, I would also lubricate the window mechanisms which are renowned for getting dry and slowing.
I'd go one step further and replace the little white sliders while you're in there. They're only a couple of quid each. The door card is quite a vulnerable part to remove and even more so if it's not done properly, preferably with a fork removal tool. So yes, all housekeeping in one hit a good idea.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Guys,
I really appreciate all the comments and feedback, very much obliged!!!#

Some great advice.

Rgds
Ken
ghostprotocol84

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ghostprotocol84 »

Which steering wheel do you have? Is it the black M Sport one from the M3 E36? If so mine was also a bit faded in places but the leather is extremely durable, I used AutoGlym Leather Cleaner first and then AutoGlym Leather Balm to treat it and it looks brand new :)