Changing Door and Boot Locks

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Changing Door and Boot Locks

Post by g8jka »

Does anybody know how easy/hard it is to swap the drivers door and boot locks? I am replacing both these panels and want to retain the old locks so the keys still match up and would like to know if its a big job and if anyone has any instructions on how to do it?

The boot looks relatively simple with 2 bolts holding it in along with a rod and spring and I presume the easiest way to do the door is to swap over the whole handle unit.

Thanks
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Changing Door and Boot Locks

Post by mrscalex »

Very doable. I'll see if I can find the instructions I used.

Couple of hours for door. An hour for boot if I remember right.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Do a search - I am convinced that there is a detailed post wrt door locks. I think I even commented on how to make the reinsertion of the window rail a bit easier. The first time it is scary dealing with the lock without seeing what you are doing.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I keep a printed binder of How Tos and I think I've got the door procedure in there. I will need to check tonight.

In the meantime this gives a good flavour although it doesn't show how to change the barrel itself once apart but that's the easy bit. The most difficult but I found was working out how to move the plate that locks it in place. But it's just a small nudge with a screwdriver.

http://www.eatsleeptinker.com/2013/03/0 ... n-m-coupe/

My minds gone blank with the boot lid. It was one of the first jobs I did on my brother's car nearly 18 months ago. But it's a lot simpler than the door. Things to watch out for are reconnecting the actuator rod properly (if you have to take it out - I think I did then found out I didn't need to). If that slips off you get locked out. And realigning the striker. But again I think I took that off then found out I didn't need to.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

BonBon wrote:Do a search - I am convinced that there is a detailed post wrt door locks. I think I even commented on how to make the reinsertion of the window rail a bit easier. The first time it is scary dealing with the lock without seeing what you are doing.
Probably this thread that you are thinking of, BonBon: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=17528

I didn't exactly have to search for it... it's in the knowledgebase. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Strictly speaking that's the actuator replacement rather than lock barrel replacement. But I guess it's 90% the same.
ImageImage
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Thanks for the replies, I could only find the one for the actuator in the knowledgebase and that is not what I need. Its the actual barrels the key is inserted into that I need. Hopefully all will be straight forward.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal