Not sure what's going on

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Not sure what's going on

Post by Wavesong »

Hopefully someone out there can help with this conundrum? The reversing lights have stopped working on my year 2000, 2.0 six. As both don't work, I suspected the fuse. So, I removed the fuse box cover which helpfully gives an index of fuses, their purpose and amperage. The fuse related to reversing lights is listed as No. 26. However, with the engine running (I was in the process of going out), I removed the fuse and the engine stopped immediately. Putting the fuse back and the engine restarted on the key. So, fuse number 26 clearly isn't for the reversing lights and this means that I probably can't trust the remainder of the index references either. Does anyone know which fuse number is actually the reversing lights and better still, point me in the direction of an index that actually relates to what the fuses do please? I don't want to suspect the gearbox switch until I have tried the obvious.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Not sure what's going on

Post by Del »

I've got several fuse box maps for the Z3/E36 range, which I have collected over the years, and all state that fuse 26 is for the reversing lights.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Are you sure you are reading the fuse numbering scheme from the correct starting point given Del's certainty about fuse 26?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Having had a closer look at what I've got, one fuse map marked "E36 GB" does show that fuse 26 covers both the reversing lights and "Motronic" - which is BMW language for the ECU.
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Del wrote:Having had a closer look at what I've got, one fuse map marked "E36 GB" does show that fuse 26 covers both the reversing lights and "Motronic" - which is BMW language for the ECU.
Ah good, thank you, that answers why the engine stopped when I pulled No. 26. So the fuse is ok, the bulbs are ok, the wiring harness at the boot opening looks ok so, I assume, the switch on the side of the gearbox is the culprit? Seems a bit daft to me to put the reversing lights on the same circuit as the ECU. If I got a short on the lights circuit, that would knock out the ECU too, making the car immobile