clutch stop rubber

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

clutch stop rubber

Post by lightning »

There's a lot of positive comment on the US Z3 forum about fitting a bigger clutch pedal end stop rubber.

Apparantly it removes the free play at the lower part of the pedal travel (adjustable so you still have enough to fully disengsge the clutch) and makes the car much nicer to drive.

I must admit, there's a fair bit of free movement in the pedal before my clutch bites. I've ordered one from the USA (£11 including postage) and will report back when l have fitted it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252435660896
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: clutch stop rubber

Post by lightning »

Doesn't look like there's much interest here in the UK then.

I'll fit one and see if it improves the clutch action.
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ontiken »

I've heard of this before.I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when you've tried one.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Well it seems you are alone in your interest. The USA Z3 forum rave about this modification, saying it transforms the car. I'll report back when l've fitted it!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hopefully the clutch hydraulic system and mechanical parts don't have an effect as they wear. I'd hate to have a situation where I couldn't depress the pedal sufficiently in an emergency - or maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

I am struggling to understand how this can be an advantage. As far as I can see it would just limit the travel of the clutch pedal beyond the point at which the clutch is disengaged. Surely you can do this yourself, there is no need to press the pedal all the way to the floor.
I would be more interested in a way of adjusting the pedal so that it bites slightly lower down (nearer the floor) to suit my leg length.
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Antm72 »

I have one of these fitted and it does make the driving /gear change experience smoother.
Its like raising the floor if you like , i have mine set just below the clutch bite its fully adjustable if there is wear on the clutch etc but as you know where to expect the bite it smoothens the gear change helping with the drive train clunk and making the gear change more presice.
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ontiken »

Hi Ant,
Sounds good to me,where did you get it from?
Regards,
Ken.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

The part is sold by a company called "Burger Motorsports" in the USA.

There are two types, for the Z3 you need the screw in one and not the plastic "fir tree" one which is for post-2006 BMW's.
Last edited by lightning on Fri 26 Aug, 2016 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ontiken »

Surprised by the negative responses from people who haven't tried this.I like to keep an open mind unless I have personal knowledge regarding anything. I know Ant and I know his car. The car is superb and Ant is very knowledgeable so I'm inclined to think this item is worthy of a try.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

So the part arrived and it turned out l had ordered the wrong one. So l made one from a bolt with a rubber blanking grommet on the end.

What a difference....the car is so much nicer to drive without the two inches of wasted travel at the bottom of the clutch pedal. I don't know if all Z3's have so much free travel before the clutch bites, but it's the best modification l have done on the car, and it cost nothing.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
I'm quite tempted to try this. Is it 'one size fits all', or do I need one for my engine size, ie 1.9?

Boosh.
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

interested also if you can provide the link and info on the one you should have ordered :) thanks
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

That's the company. On my 3.0 Z3 l needed the screw in one, l mistakenly ordered the plastic one that pushes in.

Like l said....what a difference. I've never got to grips with the large amount of travel before the biting point is reached on my car.
A better solution as mentioned by Trevsky would be to lower the pedal, but looking at the mechanism it does not seem possible to do this. On my Land Rover you can adjust the pedal position and also the end stop.
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

OK thanks, so as mine is a 1999 1.9 I presume I need the push-in model? Will check tomorrow and see what fitting the car accepts and then order. Thanks