Transporting 6 cylinder engine

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Transporting 6 cylinder engine

Post by mrscalex »

Can anyone give me any tips on transporting a 6 cylinder engine?

What sort of vehicle would be needed? I will inevitably have to hire a van so what sort? Does it need any sort of cradle or support? How do I stop it marking the floor?

Still after the 2.2 engine by the way! Will post a wanted ad.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Transporting 6 cylinder engine

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I found a pallet with an old tyre on top and the engine on top of that, strapped to the pallet, worked fine.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I found a pallet with an old tyre on top and the engine on top of that, strapped to the pallet, worked fine.
Glad to hear that works. I've seen pictures from salvage yards with that arrangement.

What sort of vehicle did you use? I'm wondering if I'd end up busting a transit and if I'd need something more heavy duty.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I used a Land Rover Discovery. Because I was using an engine crane to get it in and out I needed something with a rear door that opened to the side, as opposed to a tailgate that opens at the top, as that would get in the way of the crane.

Depending on your circumstances, it may be worth looking at using a courier - pallet rates for overnight delivery are probably less than the cost of hiring a van.
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

I transported a Triumph 2.5 six in the boot of my E30 325i. No damage done.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Are you looking to transport a 6 pot engine made of solid lead?
An entire Z3 only weighs about 1300kg and according to Ford the baby Transit Connect has a payload around 700kg and the full size Transit is over 1 tonne. If carrying a car engine ended up "busting" the van then dear old Henry's company would never sell any!
BladeRunner's comment about access for loading is more relevant than the actual type of vehicle as an engine on a pallet is an unweildy beast.
Perhaps BMW should manufacture vans! :lol:
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

therealdb1 wrote:Are you looking to transport a 6 pot engine made of solid lead?
I was looking at hiring a van and I like to respect other people's property. The capacity of a transit may be 700kg but that quite possibly assumes an even distribution across the floor. This is 200kg concentrated in one place so I feel the question is perfectly relevant. I was also looking to find a way of securing the load and to protect the plywood boarding from damage.

Bladerunner's advice works for me. And in fact I had't realised pallet delivery could be so cheap. There's an established firm in Swansea advertising at £20 though I'm still looking for the catch as I would have thought £50-£60 is more the normal rate.
ImageImage
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Sorry!
Obviously your sense of humour differs from mine.
If the engine is on a pallet the load will be spread so you'll be fine although if you can get someone else to do the transportation for £20 I'd take that option.
It does sound cheap but maybe the catch is the delivery time as the company may wait for a return load to half their costs.
If they can collect and deliver within your chosen timescale then you are on to a winner.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Well the catch was the screen doesn't automatically update when you put in consignment details. When you hit the update button (didn't see it on my mobile phone originally) it's £60. Not sure I'd have used the service at £20 anyway as that was too cheap. At least I've established this is more economical (and less time consuming) than hiring a van. The attraction for me is these guys are just down the road from me so only a 10 minute trip to go and see them if something goes wrong.

I just need to find an engine now. £500 budget so £440 left for the engine. 2.2 with <75k miles is what I'm after. Exact amount on offer will depend on provenance, mileage etc.
ImageImage
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

A little higher in price that you were looking for but maybe worth a call, 54k miles

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-2-2-CO ... Sw-KFXdPox
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks Brian.

I've had my eye on that one for a while and have been talking to the yard.

It's too much though and I think that's reflected in the fact it's still for sale 2 months later. They are really looking to sell the car whole but the £1,800 they want is too much too as the chassis rail is turned over, ie it's not a straightforward panel based repair.

I'll wait and see what happens to the price.
ImageImage