Android OBD App - Fault Reader

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Android OBD App - Fault Reader

Post by Warrior »

Has anybody tried one of these?

http://www.androidcentral.com/test-driv ... nd-android

Plugs into the OBD socket usually somewhere under the steering wheel but not 100% sure on the Zed yet....and apparently checks for faults or allows one to create a fancy 'dashboard'.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Android OBD App - Fault Reader

Post by Robert T »

Even if you have an OBDII socket under the steering wheel, you will be better off using an adapter cable to connect to the round 20-pin socket in the engine bay, as the only module connected to the under-dash one is the engine. Having said that, unless the software is BMW-specific, then it may be restricted to only reading engine codes anyway. I'll be interested to see how you get on, as if it works, it would be more convenient than lugging the laptop out to the car every time.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

I use a ELM327 obd2 Wifi Interface linked to a BMW round pin cable under the bonnet and my phone with an App called Dash Command
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-WiFi-O ... SwGzlTwoH-

Dash Command is available for download from the App Store for little money.
http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/

All in all its a quick portable bit of kit and reads codes and deletes them, it will not read airbags you need a separate code reader to do that also available on ebay cheap.

Dash Command also has a dashboard showing live data when the engine is running.

Also works on the wife's Suzuki Alto and my Ssangyong Korando.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've just bought a little Elm box this week for my Alhambra. I'm using it with an iPhone and for that you can't use Bluetooth, you need the wifi version.

Tried what the reviews suggested was the best free one OBD Car Doctor and it was okay. Dash Command is £8 and looks impressive but there's clearly something wrong with the config as it thinks I'm banging out 1000 bhp at less than 2 mpg! Neither managed to read codes and I know there are a good few on the car although I think they are all chassis codes and I suspect it only does engine codes.

So the device itself is excellent for a tenner. But not overly impressed with the software so far.

I've got better diagnostics tools for the Z3s, INPA and a dedicated reader but if I get it working with the Alhambra I'll probably give it a go on the Z3s out of curiosity.

Just bear in mind a quality handheld tool is say £200. So you're not going to get the world for £20, not least as these plug into the internal socket which as Robert T kindly reminds us wallys on a regular basis does not do chassis codes like the pacman round connector under bonnet does.

To be honest I don't think you can beat INPA on a laptop.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)