Z3 3.0 not as fast as it should be?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 3.0 not as fast as it should be?

Post by lightning »

My Z3 3.0 does not seem as fast as it was.
It may be that l've been driving my friend's Tesla Model S while he's on holiday! But my Z3 does not feel like a car that has 231bhp.
I'm thinking VANOS might have failed? But there's none of the usual symptoms.....it's smooth with no lumpy idle or jerky power delivery at 3,000 rpm.

I have also read about something called a DISA valve? Does my 2002 3.0 have this part, and if so can l check it?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 3.0 not as fast as it should be?

Post by mrscalex »

Might be the DISA. Check error codes.

Saw a 3 Series up for sale today that sad it had lost power due to a faulty auto transmission? If yours is auto?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Thanks for the reply. It's a manual transmission.

The car does not push you back in the seat when you floor it. Where is the DISA valve located? I'll have a look at it.
If that's not the cause l'll get Mr Vanos out to rebuild that unit. I looked at it online and don't fancy taking it apart. There's talk of teflon seals and cam timing.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

You don't want to go taking anything apart or spending money without checking error codes.

The DISA is on the right hand side as you look into the car. On an M54 it's the square looking thing on the inlet manifold.

But that's just one of what I'm sure might be a wide range of causes. I am no engine expert.

If you've got the money to spend on rebuilding your Vanos I think many would say that's always a worthwhile investment regardless.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I'll get a quote on that as l don't know how much it costs.

The Vanos guy says he will check it before doing any work.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

As you say could be many things. Ours was a bit down and then started stalling when pulling away from idle. I checked the codes and was showing the inlet cam sensor fault. When taking it apart I then found the inlet hose after the MAF was split. When I temporary taped the split up it curedoes the stalling and when I changed the cam sensor all back to full power. You need to get the codes off for any idea where to start.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I'll buy a code reader.

Looking on Ebay they start at £15 and go to over £100. The cheap ones are listed as suitable for any car manufactured after 1996 that is "OBD ll compatible"

So will the £15 one do it?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I use INPA. My brother has this (not from this seller):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creator-C110- ... 2215995643

INPA is great but can be difficult to set-up, needs a dedicated (old) laptop (because of getting it dirty) and is very busy.

I like my brother's scanner. It's good quality and works on his 1 Series and the Z3s (buy one with the 20 pin connector). It will clear airbag faults as well. The square connector plugs in under the dash on facelift cars but reads engine codes only (I know that's all you want for now). The 20 pin connector goes in under the bonnet and will give chassis codes too - it's very handy to have this.

No idea on the really cheap scanners. The Creator C110 is about £40.

You'll also see in another thread talk of using an Elm 327 dongle and smartphone software. Its only about £15 for dongle and software but I'm yet to get it working to read codes.
ImageImage
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I got an usb to obd2 cable and adaptor from 20pins to obd2. And running INPA inside virtual machine on my mac laptop. This way I can access everything on the car and I can use any software I want (using also Romraider for tuning things). That is the cheapest option with biggest potential.