Electric roof failure

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Electric roof failure

Post by swabyk »

Hi Guys,
When I bought my Z3, 3 months back, the electric roof failed when the seller tried to put it down, so he did it manually using the override and then after that it worked, we tried it 50 times before buying and it worked every single time after. To be honest I knew it would probably fail at some point in the future as it was obviously on its way out when it didn't work the first time we tried it but i was after a little project car so wasn't put off.

That failure then happened again today for the first time since and tons of use in between! Now it wont go up or down on electrics, only using the manual override. So my question, before I buy a replacement electric pump off flebay, is there anything else worth trying first? Anything simple that might not be pump related? Im just presuming the pump has failed, is this then most common fault though?

Thanks guys
Ken
Bananasport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Electric roof failure

Post by Bananasport »

I had the same thing happen and the problem was a micro switch on one of the joints of the roof frame, cleaned and spray cured it. hope yours is as easy.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Never heard of a roof motor failing, there is a micro switch in the roof on the passenger side and a wire that runs down the frame, check this wire as they can become brittle and break, another thing to look at is your brake switch, do your brake lights work?
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Hi guys, thanks for quick responses. Yes brake lights all work.

Is there anywhere id find a diagram of where the micro-switch is or photos do you know, or is it obvious when you look?
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Actually, dont worry, just googled it. Will perhaps try and fix the switch or buy a replacement switch first then, thanks
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

More likely to be the wire than the micro switch, just trace the loom down the roof frame.
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Sorry, bit of a car novice. When you say its more likely to be the wire, how do you test that out?

Also, anyone know where you can buy the microswitch or the part number?
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Since found that too, part number; 54348407250

Only UK price I can find is £70!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

In the knowledge base, all you need to know to repair a microswitch.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34454

Hope this helps
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Thanks, just trying to work out how to ensure it is the switch before I start taking it all apart, worried about doing all that work and it being something different!!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You can test by bypassing the switch and cable completely at the connector by the lefthand (UK passenger) seatbelt turret. If that works, then you can start to narrow it down to either the microswitch or the cable.

Another possibility is the roof up-down switch itself on the dash. I have heard at least one occurrence of this over the years I've been on here.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Ah ok, didnt know there was another terminal as such, will take a look. Appreciate the help, good man!
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Robert T wrote:You can test by bypassing the switch and cable completely at the connector by the lefthand (UK passenger) seatbelt turret. If that works, then you can start to narrow it down to either the microswitch or the cable.

Another possibility is the roof up-down switch itself on the dash. I have heard at least one occurrence of this over the years I've been on here.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Have looked and couldnt find the connector by the seatbelt turret as described above, can anyone poinpoint this for me, is it under carpet, under seat, behind trim etc? any pics? thank you - Need to find why my roof isnt working! :(
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Trace where the wire from the microswitch goes into the side trim, and it's just in there.
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

OK, followed it into the trim so its a 'trim off' jobbie?
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Just found these pictures that show the braided lead and the white switch/connector.

Apologies if im being dumb, but how does that help me know what is or isnt working, isnt it just a connector? Rather than a switch as such???

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... cro-Switch
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You need to unplug the switch and then bridge the terminals to emulate the switch being in the closed (allowing the roof mechanism to operate) position. If the roof then works, you have a dud switch. If not, then the trouble-shooting moves on. Do bear in mind that with the terminals bridged you have to make sure you have lifted the front of the roof up properly because if you don't, and the mechanism runs, you can damage the roof frame.
BILLZ3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by BILLZ3 »

In total agreement with Blade runner , his suggestions is how I traced my faulty roof to a failed micro switch,
I just disconnected the two wires from micro switch taped them together tested roof and hey presto worked fine . Used the fix on the link to replace switch :)
BILLZ3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by BILLZ3 »

If you go into the knowledge base , click on z3 , stroll down to soft top and hard top there is an excellent thread on micro switch fix
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Dont suppose you know how to remove this bit of trim, have tried and whilst access is tight there seems no obvious way to remove it! :head: :head: :head: