Which wheels?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Which wheels?

Post by thomasbrown92 »

Evening all,

Just musing over a couple of options while the car is garaged over the winter. Something that hasn't sat right with me is the car's stance (no pun intended). It has the 16" wheels which I think look silly in the rear arches. They seem to swallow up the wheels when looking down the car from the front.

I really don't want to steer to far away from OEM spec, but just wondering what wheels would go well and what size I could get away with to make that arch gap look better. I would also consider dropping the car 20-30mm. Should I consider other suspension modifications if I am lowering the car? AR bars and strut-brace, for example?

Any other suggested solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom
Tom
2001 BMW Z3 2.2 Hellrot Red
2018 BMW 420d M Sport Gran Coupé [F36] Black Sapphire Metallic
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Which wheels?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Well, you won't get any change in the height of the arch gap by changing the wheels, because the ride height will still be the same but you'd significantly improve the look if you either use spacers to push the rears out to meet the wheelarch, or fit wider rear wheels to achieve the same effect.

In a way it depends on what you want to spend. The most cost-effective thing would be to fit spacers at the rear, as you won't have the expense of buying wheels and tyres. Otherwise you could look at aftermarket wheels that are wider, or have a different offset that would push the wheel outwards - if you do that you'll need to go for a staggered set that are wider at the rear, otherwise you'll risk too much poke at the front. Even then, you may need spacers at the rear to pull the wheel out a bit.
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by thomasbrown92 »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Well, you won't get any change in the height of the arch gap by changing the wheels, because the ride height will still be the same but you'd significantly improve the look if you either use spacers to push the rears out to meet the wheelarch, or fit wider rear wheels to achieve the same effect.

In a way it depends on what you want to spend. The most cost-effective thing would be to fit spacers at the rear, as you won't have the expense of buying wheels and tyres. Otherwise you could look at aftermarket wheels that are wider, or have a different offset that would push the wheel outwards - if you do that you'll need to go for a staggered set that are wider at the rear, otherwise you'll risk too much poke at the front. Even then, you may need spacers at the rear to pull the wheel out a bit.

Hi - thanks for your note. What size spacers do you think would make the rears look flush with the arches? I'm thinking 30mm (15mm each side). Would I then need to have the car's tracking and wheel alignment altered? This is probably the best option anyway, as a larger wheel could spoil the ride quality.

Cheers

Tom
Tom
2001 BMW Z3 2.2 Hellrot Red
2018 BMW 420d M Sport Gran Coupé [F36] Black Sapphire Metallic
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Only you can decide that! I'd get a tape measure and a spirit level (vertically at the wheelarch) and see what you think.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Spacers are evil. Try to avoid them if possible for your own safety and peace of mind. Just get the wheels with correct offsets.

R17x10J ET33 wheels for rear and R17x8J ET33 for front will give you perfect stance with stock suspension (check my black z3 from sig for pics)