1998 2.8

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

1998 2.8

Post by Southernboy »

Today I found a 1998 2.8 advertised for sale - the seller said it needs TLC which when I spoke to him seem to involve a slightly damaged front spoiler and a new roof... I will view the car on friday, and if it's more cosmetic than serious stuff, I may take it on. It's going dirt cheap - for a South African Z3... just £1300.... The seller doesn't seem to be too clued up on cars, and bought it on an auction with the idea that he would restore it, but has decided he isn't really competent with tools and mechanical stuff....I hoping it'll be a £500 restoration at the end of which I will have a Z3 which I can shift for around £5000 which is the average going price for a Z3 of that age etc over here. From what he tells me it's "dark green" ... which basically tells me he isn't too clued up at all.... In fact he called the spoiler a "fender".... :lol:
Watch this space... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 1998 2.8

Post by mrscalex »

Sounds like a hustler :lol:
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks good man. If I need any parts I'll certainly call... Problem with getting them from the UK is the cost of postage and the 25% customs duty levied here on entry.. Makes a £10 part into a £30 part if I'm lucky!!! I recently bought some screws for £2.50 and the postage to SA was £8.90 plus £2.00 duty.... Scary stuff!!! Biggest problem is if I don't get it sent with a tracking number, it's very likely to "disappear" when it arrives here.... And the cost of that is what makes postage so expensive. I'm hoping the repairs are going to be the sort of stuff I can get done locally. Certainly a new roof here is just £200 fitted. And I have a very good body shop to handle any of that type of work. Mechanically there shouldn't be too much to do....the weather here is dry, so definitely no rust or the problems you guys have there. There's an exceptional Meyle stockist here with many of the basic stuff I may need... Hoses, belts, water pump, and steering / suspension stuff... Anything else I may need I'll likely be onto you and Andy.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

When I was dealing in Scalextric cars I used to send the occasional parcel to South Africa. I did always dread doing it as insurance wasn't viable due to cost and I knew there was a high chance of it going missing. That said France was not much better.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)