Air Filter compartment foam lining

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Simon59

Z3 roadster 1.9

Air Filter compartment foam lining

Post by Simon59 »

Hi All

Can anyone confirm that the thin foam that lines the top and bottom of the air filter box is there for sound-proofing only? Mine has started to disintegrate and I'd like to take it all out, including the plastic mesh that holds it in - I don't mind a bit of noise! I'm about to fit a Pipercross panel air filter and give it a cold air feed from some Mike Fishwick inspired pipework.

Thanks, Simon
Rich-Z

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Air Filter compartment foam lining

Post by Rich-Z »

I believe it may be for sound deadening purposes. I removed mine too when I was doing my fogged airbox mod a while ago.. Didn't notice any change in sound as I was already in awe of the extra performance that the mod produced!

Z3 > Miata
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm not familiar with the component but it might be there to stop vibration.

I have a 3 year old Alhambra. Problems with air box vibrations are a know fault and are very annoying. The official Seat fix is to pack them with foam insulating tape to stop the vibration.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Simon59

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Simon59 »

Thanks guys

Well the foam is gone now, a lot of it just fell apart after I removed the cage that keeps it lining the air filter box.

I thought it must be for sound deadening, but maybe for thermal reasons too - to help keep the air cool perhaps... Anyway, it's out now and not to be replaced!

I still have to complete my cold air feed. I've been reading up on the various things that folk have done and working out what to do. Mine's a 1.9 by the way. I'll report back in when it's completed and let you know how it went and how she goes post fogging!