Roof Woe's

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Roof Woe's

Post by lordhelpus »

Hi All,

Well the wife used the Z the other day and low and behold the zip in window, has unstitched itself from the roof both sides...!!! I have managed to tape up the gaps which I might add you could put your fist through, so that no water gets into the car. On closer inspection I think it's time for a new roof, to be honest it's looking worn in other areas as well, ( Defo original roof been on since Oct 97) so can't complain..... so I'm wondering can any kind soul on here recommend a roof replacement establishment so I can get said roof replaced. I know I can just Google it to find somewhere that fits roofs but a recommendation would be better I think.
I live in Essex so local or there about's would be good.

Thanks
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Roof Woe's

Post by Del »

Croydon Soft Tops - many of the forum members (me included) have travelled hundreds of miles to use his facilities. Around £350 fitted (only does blue or black) in 3-hours whilst you sample a Costa in the delights of Croydon :D

http://www.soft-tops.co.uk/
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Thanks Del,

Looks like a trip to Croydon for a costa then, ladyhelpus will accompany I think.... :thumb:

will phone them to arrange........many thanks.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I`ll second that. Great guy, perfect job at a very good price.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Another vote for him, can't go wrong :thumb:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Thanks alec.m,

I assume you have personal experience of Croydon soft tops..?? you must have been pleased with the service after travelling up from lymington.

I'm happy to go with the recommendations from this site, lot's of knowledge and tips and all free....!!!
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Thanks g8jka,
:cheers
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

lordhelpus wrote:Thanks alec.m,

I assume you have personal experience of Croydon soft tops..?? you must have been pleased with the service after travelling up from lymington.

I'm happy to go with the recommendations from this site, lot's of knowledge and tips and all free....!!!
Yes, under 2 years ago on my Atlanta blue 2.8. Went for a blue top instead of a black one and it looked good. Don`t be put off by the premises when you get there, it looks a bit dodgy but he knows his soft tops. About a 15 minute stroll into Croydon centre from his place with plenty of shops to keep the other half happy. I shall return with my current Z for a new roof. Window needs replacing and for that money it makes sense to pay a bit more and have the lot.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Some pics on this post of the top I had fitted by Croydon soft tops

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43448&p=401621&hili ... op#p401621
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

alec.m wrote:Some pics on this post of the top I had fitted by Croydon soft tops

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43448&p=401621&hili ... op#p401621

Nice job.......... :thumb:

Well I have spoken to the guy at http://www.soft-tops.co.uk (nice guy to speak to actually) and I must say I have had a bit of luck, on the date that I could have got the Z down to him he informs me that he is quite near to me on that date in the morning, so if I didn't mind having the roof fitted in the afternoon he could fit it at my address...
He would normally charge £45 for that but because I'm quite local to where he happens to be that morning he will only charge me an extra £25 on top of the supply and fit of £395...........so £420 all in.....and I don't have to leave home..!

ladyhelpus said she will provide tea and cake.... :thumb: