OBD Ports...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

OBD Ports...

Post by handsomejackuk »

My 1998 Z3 1.9 hasnt got an inside 16 pin obd port under the steering column, but has 2 connectors under the bonnet one is just above the ABS pump on the right side lloking from the front, and the other is on the left side just in front of the realy box...

what are the two ports for ?

I have ordered a 20 pin to 16 pin adaptor cable, and already have a usb elm327 apadtor.. i will probably be getting a wireless or bluetooth elm327 and hope to get the torque app working inside the car..

has anyone else got this working and can comment on what the two ports are on my car.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: OBD Ports...

Post by Robert T »

My 01/99 built car does not have the under-dash OBDII port either, but it really doesn't matter, as all it lets you do is talk to the engine module - if you want anything else, then you need to use the round 20-pin connector.

There are three similar looking connectors under the bonnet on my car, two by the fusebox and one on the other side by the jump start point. Of these, one is uncapped, one has a rubber sleeved cable and connector going into it and the other has a plastic cap on it. The one want is the one with the plastic cap. This is an interesting design as to undo the cap, you rotate the outside and the centre stays still - as it rotates it lifts and unplugs some pins from the connector. In the centre you will see a plastic locating pin shaped like a pacman. This is the diagnostic socket. I have no idea what the others are for.

I am not sure what you will get with OBDII compatible kit on an 1998 car. It will depend on the build date. Early cars used a different system of electronics for some modules and you tend to need a real serial port to connect to them. Later cars used OBDII compatible signals, but on a non-standard connector. For the cars I have tested, you can see what I could access here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38095

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

thanks i probably going to buy a wifi elm327 as my other elm327 is usb and not very convenient i dont have a good laptop to install obd software i think android will be easier for me...
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

handsomejackuk wrote:thanks i probably going to buy a wifi elm327 as my other elm327 is usb and not very convenient i dont have a good laptop to install obd software i think android will be easier for me...
The other advantage of the wifi version is that if you ever decide to get a decent piece of hardware and buy an iphone then it will work with that :lol: Sorry had to get that one in. I'm just not patient/clever enough to use Android devices.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Grrrrr thanks Rob.... :evil: