Help needed Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Help needed Z3

Post by MpowerRob »

Hi all, need some help/advice please.

Whilst driving home from work yesterday, the Z stated making a funny grinding sound from the front like the wheels were rubbing the wheel arches then the steering started juddering and getting harder to turn the wheel and by the time I got home had lost power steering completely :shock:

Have checked power steering reservoir and its full to the max mark?

Any ideas advice would be greatly appreciated.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Help needed Z3

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Have you checked that the drive belt is still intact?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

If it's not the belt it sounds as if it might be the power steering pump failed/seized?
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: Help needed Z3,

Post by MpowerRob »

Thanks for the replies I've just had a chance to have another look around today and have checked the power steering reservoir and it's totally empty :shock:

When looked before I was looking at the brake fluid reservoir :oops: (it was dark raining and was on side of road rushing )

What's the chance of the power steering working again if I refill, or would the pump be f#%¥ed

Where's best to get fluid
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

It's just ATF fluid, so any garage/Halfords/motor factor will sell it. I'd imagine it's leaked out somewhere, so you may be ok once the leak's sorted and the system refilled. Unfortunately you'll have to fill it to find the leak, so you may want to buy a bit of extra fluid!
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

First thing is check where the fluid has gone, major leak somewhere, if its been run dry then pump may have suffered.
Fix any leaking pipes, put some fluid in and see how it performs with the wheels off the ground and steering turned lock to lock a few times, should be smooth, check for leaks. If satisfied all is working and no leaks road test and keep an eye on the fluid level.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Halfords here I come, will report back once I've topped.

Cheers guys
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Ok so went to Halfords bought the recommended PSF topped up to the correct level and went for a little drive well about 400m

The power steering started working again but was followed by a loud grinding noise, on looking under the bonnet I can see the psf leaking from under the belt where the ps pump is,also the fluid in the reservoir and the fluid thats leaking all over my drive is very foamy Is that normal?

Any thoughts.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Looks like the pump is knackered if its leaking behind the pulley, bearing failed by the sound of it.
Avoid running it and get a replacement fitted then repeat the test with new fluid.
Loads on ebay used and reconditioned.
The fluid is foamy because air is getting in the leak and making it foamy
What model and year is the car?
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: Help needed Z3, now fixed

Post by MpowerRob »

So to update and close this post I've fixed the leak and it turned out to be the high preassure hose (32416754173)that goes from the pump to the steering it had a hairline crack at the neck where the rubber o ring sits, I replaced this too, I wish it had been the pump as would have saved a lot of money the pipe cost £170 from the BMW dealer :shock
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Don't shoot me, hindsight is a wonderful thing, Hoses/fittings can be made up at any pressure hose company, typical cost £45 metre

I use them when fitting power rack and pinion steering to classic Mustangs,
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Help needed Z3, now fixed

Post by wonderloaf »

MpowerRob wrote:So to update and close this post I've fixed the leak and it turned out to be the high preassure hose (32416754173)that goes from the pump to the steering it had a hairline crack at the neck where the rubber o ring sits, I replaced this too, I wish it had been the pump as would have saved a lot of money the pipe cost £170 from the BMW dealer :shock
Had to have my steering pump replaced last year and it cost a lot more than £170, my zeds a 2.2 and it seems as though pumps are rarer than rocking horse poo!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport