Auxiliary fan

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Auxiliary fan

Post by lacedr »

Hi, my auxiliary fan for the air con is not working, I have powered up the fan and it works on high and low, will need to check both relays in the morning. I believe there is a fuse 48 under the dash, anyone else know where I can find it ?
2001 3.0
Cheers
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Auxiliary fan

Post by lordhelpus »

lacedr wrote:Hi, my auxiliary fan for the air con is not working, I have powered up the fan and it works on high and low, will need to check both relays in the morning. I believe there is a fuse 48 under the dash, anyone else know where I can find it ?
2001 3.0
Cheers
Hi,
When you say you powered the fan up I presume you mean you "hot" wired it directly to the battery... if I was to encounter this problem I would do exactly as you had done to eliminate the motor on the fan being at fault, you have now established the fan motor is OK, so the fault must lay elsewhere.
I would now use a meter at the wires going to the fan and switch on and off the AC and see if you get any kind of a reading, if you don't it could be:
A. Faulty switch
B. Faulty Relay
C. Broken wire\Bad connection
it's just a matter of elimination of any of the above, however it is crucial to work in a methodical manner otherwise you end up chasing your own tail.

I am no expert on auto electrics, and TBH with you apart from doing all of the above including the obvious like checking the fuse I would be tempted to get an Auto electrician on the case, I would add though that if I found the fuse had blown I would want to know why the fuse has blown?
Fuses just don't decide to blow, they blow for a reason.?
The Z3 knowledge base page has links to various wiring diagrams....I see no reference to a fuse 48.? but TBH I may have been looking at the wrong schematic.
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I was told by my air con man the Z3 has a very simple system and a non-running pusher fan is either the motor itself or the pressure switch. I guess it could also be compromised wiring.

For info my fan ran for 5 mins when cold and then seized as it heated up due to knackered bearings. So try turning by hand if you haven't already.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

Hi
thanks for the replies.
i have also taken does the viscous fan off and fitted a lower temperature switch purchased two new relays and it still wont work. will check the voltage at the fan end.
the fan spins freely
cheers
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Have you checked that there's enough gas in the aircon to trigger the pressure switch? That would be the obvious place to start.
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

no i haven't will have a look at the weekend.
cheers