instrument panel bulbs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

instrument panel bulbs

Post by handsomejackuk »

Hi,

I have got my instrument panel out as my fuel gauge bulb has blown.. i have the cluster out, and have noticed a few bulbs missing which i think should be anyway such as diesel glow plug trailer lights...

Also missing is my hazard warning bulb check engine light, and it looks as though one of the beige bulbs 1.5 watts lighting the lcd display, has been replaced with a black 1.2w...

i was wondering if anyone has successfully changed some of these for led type bulbs, and if so what bulb to get.. ?

and also curious as to, if i inserted a check engine bulb as to whether it would work ?

as i believe euro 1998 models didnt get a check engine light... bulb missing but the logo is there in dash as proved by shining torch through dash.. would it work ?

thanks AL.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: instrument panel bulbs

Post by Robert T »

I'm really not sure what you'll gain by fitting LED bulbs. In 17 years of ownership, I have replaced just one of the bulbs in the instrument cluster. I suspect that the pattern of light emitted from LEDs will look wrong - for backlighting they are too focused and for illuminating a panel they will not give an even light, possibly making any symbols illegible - I'd stick with filaments.

I did look at what was missing from mine a while back, but I can't find the pictures I took. I did turn up a thread with some info through: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37798&p=364571

The films used on the cluster are not just used on the Z3, so there are positions for options we just don't have. Others will need a coding change to work. So I suspect that it just won't work (it was actually tried by the guy in the thread above).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: instrument panel bulbs

Post by handsomejackuk »

Thanks Rob...

i will just change the faulty bulb then and replace... i have ordered some led 504 bulbs anyway for my side lights..

Al.